Tube Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tube Types

I want to buy a couple of spare tubes but I don't understand what the different types are.

What's the difference between Type A, Type B, Type C and Type D?

What does my GS1100EZ require?

Needing some educating

Thanks,
    Dave
    82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Sorry, I have never heard of any different types of tubes (haven't had to buy any for YEARS), but I do believe that your 1100 needs TUBELESS tires.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Sorry, I have never heard of any different types of tubes (haven't had to buy any for YEARS), but I do believe that your 1100 needs TUBELESS tires.

I am running Avon road riders (tubeless tires) with tubes, which is recommended by many on this site. I want to pick up some extra tubes just in case I get a flat. I think the type (A,B,C,D) is something specific to motorcycle superstore as other places seem to use a more standard type (see below).

TR-87 stands for 90º bent metal stem

PV-78 stands for 90º bent metal stem

TR-6 stands for straight metal stem

TR-15 stands for "FAT" rubber stem

-Dave
      82 GS1100E

Comment

Yep, the 82-83 GS1100E came with tubes, for some unfathomable reason. Some people convert, some do not.

Anyhoo, you'll want the TR-6 valve type.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Not up to standards

Come on, boys! Surely one of you must want to tell him about the advantages and disadvantages between latex rubber and butyl??
          Last edited by rockford; 06-30-2012, 12:51 AM.
          1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Originally posted by rockford View Post
            Come on, boys! Surely one of you must want to tell him about the advantages and disadvantages between latex rubber and butyl??

I have my popcorn and beer ready, please start the show .......
            82 GS1100E

Comment

Search

Originally posted by 5azzmonkey View Post
              I have my popcorn and beer ready, please start the show .......
              There are a number of differences between the two (durability, porosity, elasticity, heat build up, weight) but I think the differences come into 'play' more with bicycle riders and us.

If you do a search here on the forum, you'll find a number of posts regarding the differences. If you do a Google search (or Yahoo), you'll find a whole lot of websites that address it.

I'm pretty sure most of the motorcycle tubes on the market these days are either natural rubber (latex) or a blend of latex and butyl. The vast majority seem to be latex.
              Last edited by rockford; 06-30-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Did a search and some tubes are stated to be "natural rubber". Does that mean latex?
                Last edited by Nessism; 06-30-2012, 10:40 AM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Did a search and some tubes are stated to be "natural rubber". Does that mean latex?
                  I think so. I checked a few sites and came to the same conclusion. I saw mostly rubber (latex) and a few that were listed as latex/butyl blends. I didn't see any that were pure butyl but I think some of the bicycle tubes are, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rockford View Post
                    I think so. I checked a few sites and came to the same conclusion. I saw mostly rubber (latex) and a few that were listed as latex/butyl blends. I didn't see any that were pure butyl but I think some of the bicycle tubes are, for sure.
                    I found lots of pure butyl tubes, including some high end name brand types.

Speaking of bicycle tubes, latex tubes are pretty much crap as far as I'm concern. They leak more easily and crack and age far more quickly than butyl. They have a more supple feel while they last though.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

natural rubber tubes supposedly don't split in the same way the others can which means they behave more like a tubeless tyre when you get a puncture... (Go down in a slower/more controlled manner).

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        natural rubber tubes supposedly don't split in the same way the others can which means they behave more like a tubeless tyre when you get a puncture... (Go down in a slower/more controlled manner).

That is what I have read too. Is there any truth (science) behind this?

-Dave
                        82 GS1100E

Comment

Have you considered going tubeless?
                          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                            Have you considered going tubeless?
                            Worked for me. Tubes are nothing but a PITA. Requires a bit of work to make the valve stems seal correctly, though.

Comment

Tubeless / Tubes

If you do change to tubeless tyres be aware that the profile of the wheel rim is different for tubeless tyres – They have a bead behind the area the tyre lip seats so that if they spontaneously deflate the tyre is still held in place and you don’t end up running on the rim. Wheels made for tubed tyres don’t have this. Hmm, now that I write this down, using tubeless tyres on ‘tubed’ rims doesn’t sound anymore dangerous than sticking with tubes, does it (As I can’t see a deflated tube holding a tyre onto its seat)? Old tyre soap and corrosion seem to stick my bike’s tyres to the rims all to well, now that I think about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X