No announcement yet.

Tube Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the reasons for using tubeless tires, is lower heat buildup. As the tire rotates. a tube wriggles or squirms against the inner surface of the tire. The friction builds heat. Heat built in that region takes a long path to escape to the air.

Another reason to use a tubeless tire is weight. A tube weighs a lot more than the innerliner that replaces it.

Few riding conditions build enough heat to risk tire damage. Speed rating is essentially about designing and manufacturing the tire to minimize heat buildup, and to be able to withstand heat. Most motorcycle tires are rated H or higher. On GSes, we almost never reach speeds that our tires are rated for.

The extra weight extracts only a miniscule performance - and mileage - hit.

Therefore, using a tube in a tubeless tire can make perfect sense to make it easier to get going again after flatting on a ride.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

What about an instance where the tire is leaking and pressure is getting really low, unbeknownst to the rider. I've had this happen to me; riding along on the freeway, grabbed my exit and as soon as I slowed down noticed the tire was almost flat. So we have a seriously low tire, but with the tube inside it held at least some air. My wondering is what would happen in that instance with a tubeless conversion? My concern is the tire could have easily come away from the bead which would have meant no air, instead of some. Not sure if this is a realistic possibility, but it's the reason I choose to use tubes in my tires as the rim doesn't have the safety bumps to hold the tire in place.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Tubeless tires have an inner liner that is designed to hold fast around an object, like a nail, and not lose air quickly. In fact, a tube could indeed rip slightly as the tire continues to rotate in operation, thereby causing a rapid loss of air.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          What about an instance where the tire is leaking and pressure is getting really low, unbeknownst to the rider. I've had this happen to me; riding along on the freeway, grabbed my exit and as soon as I slowed down noticed the tire was almost flat. So we have a seriously low tire, but with the tube inside it held at least some air. My wondering is what would happen in that instance with a tubeless conversion? My concern is the tire could have easily come away from the bead which would have meant no air, instead of some. Not sure if this is a realistic possibility, but it's the reason I choose to use tubes in my tires as the rim doesn't have the safety bumps to hold the tire in place.
          If you have rims without the safety bumps, use tubes. Your reasoning is correct.

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
          Tubeless tires have an inner liner that is designed to hold fast around an object, like a nail, and not lose air quickly. In fact, a tube could indeed rip slightly as the tire continues to rotate in operation, thereby causing a rapid loss of air.
          That is correct. As noted before, butyl rubber compounds tear easily. Because of that, tires that rely on an inner tube to hold pressure deflate rapidly when punctured.

Sometimes, an object that penetrates a tubeless tire will result in a slow leak, slow enough that the tire can be pumped up enough to make it safely to a good place to repair it.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
          X