tires DO make a diffence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tires DO make a diffence

i just got done using up a shinko 712 series h rated rear tire...great tire great life..

a fellow member suggested a v rated tire..so i bough a shinko 230 tour master...was a few bucks more...

i took some high speed corners today...and some high speed straights...boy its amazing the diffence...my bike quit its stupid light wobble at 90 or so mph or around a sharp corner...

i do still have my 712 front tire, which is kinda new...but will get a v rated in the future

figured id share this to help someone...

Sure they do. Tires and brakes keep us upright and relatively alive. I suggest the difference may be the fact that the tire was worn. When I removed the Dunlop K491s from my GS and installed Avon Roadriders, the difference was night and day. When I first got the bike I had several excellent adventures in the Dragon and surrounding areas, and even assorted rides in Brown County. But they got scary slick, even though they still had tread. They were just too old and I left them on too long.

BTW, H rated tires are rated up to 130mph
    V rated tires are rated up to 149 mph.
    I have only done 100 mph, which was my comfort level, even though it should be able to do almost 150 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      Sure they do. Tires and brakes keep us upright and relatively alive. I suggest the difference may be the fact that the tire was worn. When I removed the Dunlop K491s from my GS and installed Avon Roadriders, the difference was night and day. When I first got the bike I had several excellent adventures in the Dragon and surrounding areas, and even assorted rides in Brown County. But they got scary slick, even though they still had tread. They were just too old and I left them on too long.

BTW, H rated tires are rated up to 130mph
      V rated tires are rated up to 149 mph.
      I have only done 100 mph, which was my comfort level, even though it should be able to do almost 150 mph.
      i forgot to add on mine..when i put the shinko 712 it would do its sillly wobbles even worse..to a scary point..as the tire wore it got less an less bad..or maybe its me?

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
        i forgot to add on mine..when i put the shinko 712 it would do its sillly wobbles even worse..to a scary point..as the tire wore it got less an less bad..or maybe its me?
        Or maybe it's the bike?

Check your steering stem bearings and your swingarm bearings, as well as the wheel bearings at both ends.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Or maybe it's the bike?

Check your steering stem bearings and your swingarm bearings, as well as the wheel bearings at both ends.

hmm you know i never have checks any of that except the wheel bearings...to the bat cave!

Comment

Working...
          X