Screwed up big time. 650 fork tube guide removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwed up big time. 650 fork tube guide removal

I'm swapping out my fork's after someone backed into my bike. I all ready had the new seal's, so I'm sure going to change them. Everything was going good. I was more or less following the tutorial,,plus the manual. I completely disassembled everything. Now I realize the 650 fork's are a bit different than the 850 fork's.

I was putting the forks back together and then realized that the inner tube needed to be put in before the tube guide (#5 in the pic) is put in the lower leg. The piston (#21 in the pic) will not go in with tube guide #5 in place. So now I can't get the dang tube guide out. It's 100* here, and I'm all flustered. I tried a seal puller and have just about trashed the lower fork leg. I hope I can file the nick's out of it, as I think the tube guide get's the contact,,,,I hope. I'm hoping I can salvage part's from my old fork.

So you guy's got any bright idea's on how the hell to get the tube guide out of the lower fork leg. Thanks.

This picture need's to be on the wall of shame. Once I put the first nick in there, I thought I had nothing to loose. So I tried to get it out with a screw driver, pick, what ever. That sucker aint budging. I'd say the heat got to me.

Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2012, 03:33 PM.

Damn rotten luck old chap, no worry, by the look of it, most the damage is to the guide, on which the inner tube runs, so filling the nicks off the outter tube will be fine.
    Seeing the guide is trash already and you are going to have to get a new one regardless, take a dremel and slit it in two, it should come out easy enough then.
    That is how I got the outer bearing races out of my 1000G swing arm, there is no way of getting in behind them to get them out.

Comment

Disclaimer-I have yet to pull my forks apart.
      Sounds like the tube guide is cocked in tube preventing withdrawl- have you tried using a pipe/socket that just fits into tube, push down on tube guide to re-align it?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Disclaimer-I have yet to pull my forks apart.
        Sounds like the tube guide is cocked in tube preventing withdrawl- have you tried using a pipe/socket that just fits into tube, push down on tube guide to re-align it?

The guide is not cocked. I just fully seated it where it goes. That's the problem. If I had a little gap I could get under it with something.

But anyway. I GOT IT!! I don't know what the hell the proper tool is, but it's nothing in my arsenal. There's about a millionth of an inch of a lip. I tried catching it with a long drift from the bottom side. I needed 4 hand's. So that didn't happen.

So. I finally said to hell with it and used a scratch all right on the split of the guide. I really drove it in. It finally pealed out where I could remove it.

I filed down my gouge's. I think I'll be fine. Now let's see if I can make the same mistake on the other fork.

Comment

Working...
        X