Lost part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost part

While rebuilding the forks on my 850 GLZ I lost a part , the rebound spring, part # 17 in the image below.
    How important is this spring? What if I just skipped it?

Not a serious question, right?
    The part is still available new.

Eric

Comment

Definitely get a new spring if you can't find it. IIRC if the spring controlling rebound is missing the fork will rebound too fast causing the wheel to bounce over obstacles and the bike will feel almost uncontrollable. Having the spring in the other fork would help keep the bike under control but if it were my bike I would order a replacement ASAP.

Comment

Well, I deduced that the spring went in the trash. Just before the garbage truck showed up I dug into our bag, found the small bag of rags I had put in to it last night and sure enough, there it was!

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
          Well, I deduced that the spring went in the trash. Just before the garbage truck showed up I dug into our bag, found the small bag of rags I had put in to it last night and sure enough, there it was!

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post

Hooray!

Comment

Now, do you remember which fork leg it goes in?

I think those springs just soften the impact of the forks topping out.

Not sure how much it would affect overall handling, unless you routinely ride so the front wheel comes off the ground as you come over a hill.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X