Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850G Front Suspension Upgrade Beyond Progressive Springs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Front Suspension Upgrade Beyond Progressive Springs??

I already have the Progressive springs in the font of my GS850G... I've heard references to putting a "better suspension" on the front of one of these... But I did a bunch of searching here and don't really see any clear information on exactly WHAT that means...

Was thinking there must be a solid fork-upgrade that can be done to this bike, perhaps to include the use of more modern brake calipers and better dampening, etc??

Not completely unhappy with the general performance now, but always looking for that next "upgrade" that will still retain the classic look, but provide a little better performance.

Anyone have a link to a thread here that might discuss this??

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I already have the Progressive springs in the font of my GS850G... I've heard references to putting a "better suspension" on the front of one of these... But I did a bunch of searching here and don't really see any clear information on exactly WHAT that means...

Was thinking there must be a solid fork-upgrade that can be done to this bike, perhaps to include the use of more modern brake calipers and better dampening, etc??

Not completely unhappy with the general performance now, but always looking for that next "upgrade" that will still retain the classic look, but provide a little better performance.

Anyone have a link to a thread here that might discuss this??
    bwringer recommends Sonic brand straight rate springs. After that, I think you're looking at cartridge emulators or a front end swap. I'm curious what the front end swap would be. I'm thinking about some emulators, but I'd like an adjustable fork.

You don't need a front end swap to get better brakes. The twin-pot caliper upgrade using Salty-Monk's brackets will get you all the brakes your front tire can handle, and then some (with just two fingers). Highly recommended.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Fresh oil, springs, emulators, and a Tarozzi fork brace will get the front end working at the peak of its potential. With the stock frame, bolting on a modern fork is just silly, and it has the potential to cause many other serious handling problems as well, since few modern forks are long enough.

My bike is wearing Sonic fork springs (1.1kg/mm, since I'm a lardass), and I haven't put the fork brace back on. Truth be told, I didn't like the front end feel with the brace, but maybe I'm just strange.

I also must confess that I haven't spent the money on emulators yet. I hear they're better, and the theory makes sense, but the forks on my bike work damn well as they are, so I haven't made it a priority.

Out back, save up your pennies and get the best shocks you can afford, along with springs appropriate to your weight and the bike's weight. Progressive or Hagon shocks are good for just over $200/set, and if you can spend more than that, Ikon or the spendier Hagon shocks are excellent.

Let's see, what else... oh yeah, you'll want some good tires. Avon RoadRiders or Pirelli Sport Demons stick the best. I'm currently thrashing a set of Shinko 230 Tourmasters in the name of science, and they're quite sticky as well. Lifespan remains to be seen.

And, of course, upgrade yer brakes. Good modern brake pads along with properly functioning brakes (rebuild as needed) and stainless lines make an AMAZING difference. GS brakes are pretty darn good if they're working right. Sure, you can install upgraded brakes, but I think it's worth making the stuff you have work right.

Don't neglect carburetion, either. The secret to speed in the twisties is not in how much power you get with the throttle wide open, it's how smooth the power is in the first 5%. The GS850 is so smoooooooth, you can get back in the power sooner and with far more control than just about any other bike out there, vintage or modern. And at the top end, don't be afraid to spin it -- the GS850 loves to rev. 6,000 - 9,000 rpm is the giggle zone.

Oh, and let's not forget -- most importantly, upgrade your skills. Take a class, such as the Lee Parks Total Control Riding Clinic, and pay attention. You're almost certainly doing it wrong. Learn how to ride right, and enjoy the HUGE margin of safety you gain. And speed, o yes.

Squid hunting on a well-sorted GS850 is one of life's more sublime pleasures...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
      X