GSX 1100 Wheel and final drive install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX 1100 Wheel and final drive install

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum. I hope someone here can help with a problem I have been fighting for weeks.

I took the rear wheel off to put a new tire on, now I can't get all the pieces back in. I have gotten the drive shaft back into the U-joint. Once I have the wheel in and the spacer that rests on the bearing in place there is not enough room to get the brake bracket in place.

any help with this would be great. I don't want to miss the whole season.

also any suggestions on a shop manual? I have Haynes repair and service manual, but it only has info for chain drive and no info about shaft drive bikes.

What sort of bike do you have, exactly?

"GSX1100" does not equal 1982 - 1984 shaft drive GS.

Do you have a GSX1100G, which would date from around 1990-93?

You mentioned getting the drive shaft back into the U-joint, which makes no sense whatsoever. Are you talking about the axle?

Can you post some photos of your dilemma and clarify your bike's model and the terminology you're using?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the response

My bike is a 91 GSX1100G.
      I have the shaft that joins the knuckle off the transmission in place, that shaft joins the wheel and the axle goes through both. if I'm not mistaken on my terms. I will take pictures when I get off work.

Comment

Thanks, that helps clarify things a lot. There are some former and current GSX1100G owners around here, so perhaps they can offer more help about common issues with juggling the brake components when installing the rear wheel. I'm not sure if the "G-Man" forum for these bikes is still active.

In the meantime, you might want to peruse a parts fiche diagram to make sure you have all the spacers and assorted hardware in the right places. You might have accidentally swapped a few spacers around.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It also sounds like you took apart way more than necessary for a tire change.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Hope these help.
            The first one is from my '92.
            The last two are from the '93.

Eric

Comment

Thanks for the pics. I can tell from these that I have everything in the right place. Is it possible that I don't have the drum with the drive gear on the wheel all the way? it seems like that might be the issue, but I can't figure out how to get it back on any more.

Comment

Originally posted by vogner View Post
                Thanks for the pics. I can tell from these that I have everything in the right place. Is it possible that I don't have the drum with the drive gear on the wheel all the way? it seems like that might be the issue, but I can't figure out how to get it back on any more.
                Align the teeth on the two hubs?

Eric

Comment

I have tried that, But they don't just slide together. it seems like they have to be pressed. Should it be that hard?

Comment

They fall together. Especially if you applied new Moly Grease to the splines.
                    You DID apply new Moly Grease to the splines, right?

Eric

Comment

Vogner, call me. I will stop by and check it out with you..I'm in Chatt 6-7 days a week. I'm the same gotgixers that sent you over here ......

I left you a PM with my # over at the other site .....

I will PM you here as well...

Comment

On my G the brake bracket was a tad tight, not much but enough. How far is it off? If more then .050" then you might want to post pics.

Comment

Working...
                        X