Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, newbie can't get his caliper back together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, newbie can't get his caliper back together!

Ok folks, I've got the front calipers pulled apart on my 81' GS850G.
    One side was leaking do to a corroded piston.
    I've got my OEM piston kits with new seals.
    I've got everything cleaned up, ran clean brake fluid through the lines, and everything is going well.

BUT, getting the piston into the dust cover is kicking my butt!
    I've followed Mr. Stefnwolf's instructions in the OVERHAULING BRAKE CALIPERS GUIDE, but I'm still not getting it.

I've done this on cars before, but never on a bike.

Any words of advice and/or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tim

all I can say is take your time....it will eventually go together....

on my fist attempt, I broke one of the seals, glad I kept a spare, and also had the old ones which were still good...

Comment

I install the dust boot on the very bottom of the piston, with the lip hanging down below the edge. Then carefully install the boot lip into the caliper groove before pushing the piston down into the caliper bore. It helps if the piston is dry as the boot won't slip off. As soon as you get the boot into the groove, lube up the caliper piston with brake fluid and slide it down into the bore.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        I install the dust boot on the very bottom of the piston, with the lip hanging down below the edge. Then carefully install the boot lip into the caliper groove before pushing the piston down into the caliper bore. It helps if the piston is dry as the boot won't slip off. As soon as you get the boot into the groove, lube up the caliper piston with brake fluid and slide it down into the bore.
        This is the way to do it. Except I 'paint' brake fluid on the seal and bore rather than on the piston as I'm less messy that way.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

very canny HH...
          i put the seals into a cup ov hot water...
          .... wait to expand a bit (bout 10 mins. just enough to boil the kettle and have a cuppa)
          then pop the seal on and await the cool (usually damp) air to contract it back again...

...then i give a little whistle and some sparrows and rabbits and squirrals come over and whip the brake caliper back onto the bike, tidy up all the tools and sweep the floor.......

(ok, that last bit might be a slight exageration but thats how it felt when the caliper boot just slid on......)

good luck, put the kettle on...

XXXX

Comment

Thank you folks!!!

I spent two hours at the kitchen counter last evening trying to get these things together. After several bouts of four letter words, and ripping one dust seal (glad I accidentally ordered too many), I started this thread.
            Woke up this morning, put on the coffee (I'm in the states), and went to "The GS Resources".
            With the help of you folks, it took me all of five minutes to install the pistons this morning.
            Slid the seal on the piston, tucked it into the grove on the caliper housing, smeared brake fluid on the piston, then gently slid the piston into the bore.

Now I'm going to have a cup or two of coffee, put the GS back together, and go for a Sunday ride.

Thanks again folks!!!

Tim

Comment

Working...
            X