Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 front brake caliper

Hi everyone,
    Thanks in advance for reading, I know the year of my bike doesn't fit your profile, but I am at my wits end. I have a 1987 Suzuki GS 450 L with a front brake caliper that my mechanic says is "shot". I have been searching high and low for a replacement, I can find the make/model but not the year. My question is, can I use a caliper from a different year?
    Thanks again,
    Jen J

Private message 7981GS (Eric) he may have one. As far as interchange goes the 85 through 87 and possibly the 88 model all used the same caliper. As a further measure I would ask for the caliper back while you look and maybe you have a local GS'r who can take a look. If all it needs is the old piston pulled and then a rebuild you are only looking at about thirty bucks in parts, which you will have to do with any second hand caliper you get anyway. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks a lot! I will ask about rebuilding. What would be the best way to find out if there are any local GSers?

Comment

Hi,

You'll find a parts cross-reference procedure on my website. Suzuki used many parts on several different bikes. Check your part number. You might get lucky.

Originally posted by jenj View Post
        What would be the best way to find out if there are any local GSers?
        Click on the "User CP" link in the upper left corner of your screen and modify your user information. Put in a general location, create a signature file with your year and model, etc.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Found a 1985 caliper on ebay that looks like it will work....keeping my fingers crossed...thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
          X