Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS550 Rear brake, rod or cable operation??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Rear brake, rod or cable operation??

Hi all, I am rebuilding my 1978 GS550 with spoked wheels from a 1977 which includes going to a brake drum as opposed to disc, question is, I would prefer it to be cable operated for neatness rather than an ugly rod to the brake lever, is there a cable available for this as it seems on the outer hub there is a location for perhaps a cable, if not then what is it for?
    Here's a pic to show you what I'm barkin on about

Oh and how the hell do I just put a pic in my post, not as an attachment like I have?
    Thanks in advance.

Hey Mad Ratter, I can't answer your brake question but can on the picture. You'll be able to post up to ten full-size pictures in each post if you use Photobucket. Instructions on how to do so are on Basscliff's site but please remember to press <enter> between each picture so it lines them up. Doing so makes it much easier to see them.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You need a rear wheel of one of the GT bikes - plus the cable etc.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the photo instructions.
        Why do I need a GT rear wheel? Not gonna change again, but what is that lugg for if it uses a brake rod??

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Ratter View Post
          .. but what is that lugg for if it uses a brake rod??
          It's kind of a halfway house thing. It's where the cable slots in on the cable operated rear brake models but the moulding isn't fully formed. It's as if the guy remodelling the mould in the factory had a few days off and they continued to produce rear drum plates before he had finished.

The GT plates are (of course) 'fully moulded'. I know they use different shoes but there is a chance that the plate might fit. Not all the GT plates were the same though so it's a double gamble.

Or you could try modifying that existing lug. I would have thought a cable off a 500 / 550 / 750 GT would fit.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            It's kind of a halfway house thing. It's where the cable slots in on the cable operated rear brake models but the moulding isn't fully formed. It's as if the guy remodelling the mould in the factory had a few days off and they continued to produce rear drum plates before he had finished.

The GT plates are (of course) 'fully moulded'. I know they use different shoes but there is a chance that the plate might fit. Not all the GT plates were the same though so it's a double gamble.

Or you could try modifying that existing lug. I would have thought a cable off a 500 / 550 / 750 GT would fit.
            Thanks for that, I thought it looked a little deformed! I think cable is much tidier so will look for a GT one , thanks for that

Comment

Working...
            X