fork springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork springs

hello to all i am going to get new fork springs for my 1979 GS1000E i did a search on here and most prefer the sonic springs wich i amd leaning towards buying are they better than the progressive springs ? . i just have a question if i install the sonic springs do i still need to add air to the forks ?
    Thanks
    steve

Originally posted by chandler View Post
    hello to all i am going to get new fork springs for my 1979 GS1000E i did a search on here and most prefer the sonic springs wich i amd leaning towards buying are they better than the progressive springs ? . i just have a question if i install the sonic springs do i still need to add air to the forks ?
    Thanks
    steve
    generally you want to avoid air.

You should use PVC spaces to adjust the preload on the springs to get the right static sag.

If the If you need to decrease total sag, then to change spring rate you can cut off coils.

Do you have adjuster at the top of the fork?

Comment

ok not sure how to check total sag info would be great . also my forks dont have any adjusters that i know of would they be under the caps ? bike has stock caps with the schrader valves

Comment

Posplayr is spoiled as the forks that he has have adjusters, yours do not.
        You adjust yours with a spacer on top of the spring under the cap.
        After installing both the Sonic and Progressive springs into several of my bikes, I would have to say the the progressive's actually give the better over-all ride.
        For agressive riding, the stiffest Sonic's are a better choice.

JMHO/E

Eric

Comment

Sonics if you are going to use cartridge emulators or are a particularly big guy (or always ride 2 up)... The cartridge emulators like a straight rate spring & allow you to fit a softer spring than you otherwise would as they control compression damping (dive) under braking etc.

Progressives if you are under 200lb & just want to change the springs only.

That's my 2 cents..
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thanks for the info guys it looks like it will be the sonics i weigh 220 LBS and ride 2 up quite often when not having a passenger i do ride a little agressive on the back roads around here

Comment

Working...
            X