MC rebuild - what is wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MC rebuild - what is wrong?

It was about 2 weeks between when I took it part and when I rebuilt it. Silly me, no pictures of "old"

I can't get this MC to pump up more than half way with minimal braking. It's a Salty Monk disc/caliper upgrade and I used to be able to lock the front wheel at 35 mph.

Did I put the parts in wrong?

I reverse fill the system (from the bottom up) so it shouldn't be air.

It's the correct kit for the MC, I checked before, during and after.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

I believe the parts are in the right order.
    Are you sure you didn't put the copper disk first?
    That would explain the fact that the pump doesn't work...
    The other possibility is that the very small hole that allows to fluid to move out of the cylinder is blocked.
    When you prime the brakes, small air bubbles normally come out of there.
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Bleed the master cylinder without the lever by using a screwdriver. The lever does not push the piston all the way in and there is always a little air trapped behind it.
      I don't use the lever to bleed my brakes but a phillip screwdriver.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
        I believe the parts are in the right order.
        Are you sure you didn't put the copper disk first?
        That would explain the fact that the pump doesn't work...
        The other possibility is that the very small hole that allows to fluid to move out of the cylinder is blocked.
        When you prime the brakes, small air bubbles normally come out of there.
        Nope, the picture shows the order in which the parts were inserted and removed

The bleed hole is clear and I got a bunch of small bubble out of there when I put the fluid in from below.

Chef, I'll try the full range pumping of the MC
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I still can't get any pressure build up.

I reassmbled and reverse bled, once the resevoir was half full i started pumping as Chef recommended.

I got lots of bubbles at first, then none.

I finally took off my resevoir and found that fluid is spurting out of the relief port when I squeeze the brake lever.

What is going on here?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I did a movie- watch that fluid come out of the relief port! It went over the tank and onto my seat

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

TomMLC had something like this... it turned out to be a issue with his fancy new bleed nipple replacements on the calipers leaking (not enough to notice but changing those is what solved his problem).
              Just an idea.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Dan

I'm thinking there's something wrong with the brake lines.

I put the MC from the 850 on and bled it -still no lever pressure

I'll swap out the brake lines from the Fridge tommorrow and see what happens
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Leaking air at the crimp on one of the lines maybe?
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Not a relief port, it's called the compensating port. The quantity of fluid comng out will depend on how far back the piston cup rests behind the port. It only has to be just behind the port so the hydraulics is not a closed circuit. If too far back the lever travel will be long before the brakes start to engage and a lot of squirt. But it all depends on what the brake engineer's design intent was unless you have an aftermarket piston kit that does not conform to the OE dimensions.

So as far as is there too much fluid squirting out, depends on what it did when originally coming off the assembly line.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys View Post
                      Not a relief port, it's called the compensating port. The quantity of fluid comng out will depend on how far back the piston cup rests behind the port. It only has to be just behind the port so the hydraulics is not a closed circuit. If too far back the lever travel will be long before the brakes start to engage and a lot of squirt. But it all depends on what the brake engineer's design intent was unless you have an aftermarket piston kit that does not conform to the OE dimensions.

So as far as is there too much fluid squirting out, depends on what it did when originally coming off the assembly line.
                      Jack - factory rebuild kit. All of the pumped fluid is coming out of the compensating port-it shot about 4' away to the back of the seat.

So, something is keeping it from going down the lines, I think
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'm getting confused between forms or threads. I thought I posed this earlier in this thread.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...1&postcount=36

In your picture that I added the arrow, if you have a stream after this cup passes by the compensating port then the cup is not sealing against the bore. Hydraulic pressure will go to the least resistance which will be the port rather then moving the caliper pistons.

If the squirt stops once the cup passes the port, then it's normal.

The only other reason that fluid would squirt out the compensation port if the cup is good and past the compensation port is if the relief port at the lever end of the bore is clogged.

Comment

Take a look at the link. Your brass/copper,,what ever it is,,,,check valve may be in backwards. It makes sense about what this guy says about wear marks on the check valve.

Unless of course it just gets smashed flat under pressure.

This master cylinder was removed from a 80s model Suzuki GS650. I have skipped the steps of disassembling the master cylinder but they are basically the same except in reverse. To start this projec…

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Cal View Post
                            Take a look at the link. Your brass/copper,,what ever it is,,,,check valve may be in backwards. It makes sense about what this guy says about wear marks on the check valve.

Unless of course it just gets smashed flat under pressure.

http://freetireair.wordpress.com/201...-suzuki-gs650/
                            That's an interesting idea - I didn't check for wear marks on the check valve and there's nothing in the FSM that indicates that it should be installed in one direction only. It looked flat to me

I read the link and it mentions putting the curved side against the seal. This is stupid, it's so thin that both sides would have to be curved. Never heard of convex and concave? I'm assuming he means convex.

Any way , off it comes again to check the check valve. Glad I bought extra DOT 3 when I did the tow van's brakes over the weekend
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                              That's an interesting idea - I didn't check for wear marks on the check valve and there's nothing in the FSM that indicates that it should be installed in one direction only. It looked flat to me

I read the link and it mentions putting the curved side against the seal. This is stupid, it's so thin that both sides would have to be curved. Never heard of convex and concave? I'm assuming he means convex.

Any way , off it comes again to check the check valve. Glad I bought extra DOT 3 when I did the tow van's brakes over the weekend
                              The master in the link is referring to a 650. I don't know if the check valve would be the same for your bike. Maybe one of the Guru's will be along and verify if the check valve is flat or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X