1100EZ,ED,ES Fork Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100EZ,ED,ES Fork Experts

Im gonna go through my forks again and incorporate one new/used slider and some new bushings, seals and such from Ashley. Hopefully this will end my persistent seal leak. Anything else I should look at / replace while I have them off ? (No, too cheap for emulators or cartridges). Damn !! How many choices in fork oil can there be ? Genuine Suzuki ? Ohlins ? Silkolene ? Repsol ? Maxima ? Motul ? Lucas ? PJ1 ? KYB ? Bell-Ray ?.......

Photo by Josh (I think)
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Those look my forks with the emulators and progressive springs. But I did sell them to Josh although I think it was for someone elses bike.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Those look my forks
      That could be. Im going to put new bushings in mine as a long shot to my speed wobble question.
      Last edited by bonanzadave; 07-29-2012, 10:41 PM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        Im gonna go through my forks again and incorporate one new/used slider and some new bushings, seals and such from Ashley. Hopefully this will end my persistent seal leak. Anything else I should look at / replace while I have them off ? (No, too cheap for emulators or cartridges). Damn !! How many choices in fork oil can there be ? Genuine Suzuki ? Ohlins ? Silkolene ? Repsol ? Maxima ? Motul ? Lucas ? PJ1 ? KYB ? Bell-Ray ?.......

Photo by Josh (I think)

Oooh!
        Gold plated anti-dive units!
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Dave,
          The last tme I went thru my forks, about 3 years ago ( both fork seals would be leaking every spring after coming out of storage) I used O.E.M. seals & PJ1 30wt Heavy Fork Oil!!
          It has not leaked since! About 5000 miles on them!
          sigpicIt wasnt me! I didnt do it! You cant prove anything!
          82 1100EZ :dancing:

Comment

Clean them, CLEAN them, & CLEAN them again! If you are around 200 lbs, use 15 wt oil. If you are over 230, use 20 wt. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by GDT1960 View Post
              PJ1 30wt Heavy Fork Oil!!
              Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              If you are around 200 lbs, use 15 wt oil. If you are over 230, use 20 wt. Ray.
              Maybe thats my problem. Im using 10wt
              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

The anti-dives should be removed or blocked off when you upgrade to emulators..

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  The anti-dives should be removed or blocked off when you upgrade to emulators..
                  I put a thin piece of brass plate under the antidives to block any flow to them, but in fact it probably doesnt matter as the damper rods are drilled when installing emulators so the flow through antidives is irrelevent

Comment

No, too cheap for emulators or cartridges
                    OK, got it. Soooo....other than emulators or cartridges and capping off the anti-dives....any thing else ? Has any one, other than me, thought worn fork bushings could cause high speed instability ?

Im looking at #10 & 8
                    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                    Last edited by bonanzadave; 07-29-2012, 10:56 PM.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

OK, got it. Soooo....other than emulators or cartridges and capping off the anti-dives....any thing else ? Has any one, other than me, thought worn fork bushings could cause high speed instability ?

Im looking at #10 & 8
                      http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...nt=2156_55.gif
                      I would`nt think so, but as long as you have it apart.....put new ones in!! Its not going to hurt anything!!
                      sigpicIt wasnt me! I didnt do it! You cant prove anything!
                      82 1100EZ :dancing:

Comment

Photo by Josh (I think)

I replaced the fork seals on my '81 1100EX 3 times in one season due to persistent leaks.

First two sets were OEM (both leaked), the last set were the Leak-Proof Pro-Moly ones and no leaks so far after 2 years. HOWEVER, it will still seep a bit if I use any air in the forks, so I don't use any air at all.

I have Progressive springs and I'm using 10W fork oil - will replace with 15W when I change it out soon.

I also replaced the sliders & steering stem bushings when I re-built them.

Soooooo, after all that, I still have a high speed wobble that only shows up in the turns. Straight ahead is fine, but lean that puppy over in turns north of around 70MPH & you can feel the front end shimmy - kinda scary.

I am due for tires & my plan is to replace both sets of wheel bearings, as well as the swing-arms bearings; hopefully that will cure the wobbles.

Interesting to note, I installed a Tarrozi front fork brace & the wobble got worse! I removed it & the front end is noticably more stable. Go figure...

Good luck, let me know if you find the Silver Bullet.
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                        X