Anti-dive leakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-dive leakage

1983 GS1100E-I have a slight leakage occurring where the anti-dive unit attaches to the fork.I looked on a parts fiche and found out that there are 2 o-rings providing the seal between the anti-dive unit and the fork body.

Q: Do I need to drain the brake fluid before changing these o-rings? I'm not even sure if it's brake fluid or fork oil leaking out of this area as the leak is very small and barely perceptible.Nor do I completely understand how the anti-dive works. I do wish to address the issue though. Thankyou.

I had this same issue on my 1100 Katana.
    To determine where the leak comes from you can separate the top and bottom halves of the antidive.
    The top holds the piston that moves with the brake pressure and the bottom stays on the fork leg.
    There should be NO fluid between the two halves.
    The issue on mine came from a small leak from the top of the rod on the bottom half...allthough I had suspected the O-rings
    Needless to say that there are no spares available.
    My solution was to take the rod out and replace it with a bolt with a large washer to keep the fork oil from leaking.
    No antidive anymore but who cares?
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

So when I remove the anti-dive unit from the fork will there be fork oil or brake fluid spillage?Or does pressure have to accompany any leakage?

Comment

Originally posted by ddeboer View Post
        So when I remove the anti-dive unit from the fork will there be fork oil or brake fluid spillage?Or does pressure have to accompany any leakage?
        There will be copious amounts of fork fluid spurting out if you try to remove the anti-dive units without first draining the fork oil. So since you have to replace those o-rings, now would be a good time to change your fork fluid.

Please feel free to ask what you should use for fork fluid if you would like to open up a whole new animated discussion.

Comment

make sure you bleed out the air in the forks too befor, or else its gonna shoot out under some pressure

Comment

Originally posted by ddeboer View Post
            I'm proposing to first split the antidive unit by unbolting the top part and leaving the bottom part on the fork.
            By doing so, no liquid will be spilled ( unless there is a major disaster with the O-rings inside the antidive unit)
            If you have to remove the lower part of the antidive that's attached to the fork, then for sure the oil will poor out
            For the diagnostics, I would not do that until you've checked where the oil comes from by separating the top and bottom of the antidive.
            sigpicJohn Kat
            My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
            GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Buy the block off plates for the antidive, They didn't really work all that well. Suzuki discontinued them fairly quick.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100ez View Post
                make sure you bleed out the air in the forks too befor, or else its gonna shoot out under some pressure
                That is really good advice! Been there, done that. LOL

Comment

Where can you by the block-off plates for the anti dive? I can't find them on e-bay for my bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X