Forks Won't Hold Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks Won't Hold Air

hey guys I've got an 85 gs550l and my front forks won't hold any air. is there any common problems that I should look for? or parts that are most likely to fail? and how hard are they to rebuild/what tools will I need? thanks for the help in advance

Sounds like your fork seals are shot.

No problem there, just replace the seals.

However, while you have the forks apart to change the seals, you would be far better off to remove your springs and slip in a pair from Progressive or Sonic.

With the new springs, you won't need to add any air, so no more worries.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also, check the air valves themselves, make sure that small assembly isn't loose!
      (it's threaded in)
      I accidentally discovered this one night, ever since then, my mysterious leaks stopped.

Comment

If you have a linked fill system where there is an air line between two collars between on the tubes then you could have bad o-rings on those collars too. Most likely the seals though.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
          Also, check the air valves themselves, make sure that small assembly isn't loose!
          (it's threaded in)
          I accidentally discovered this one night, ever since then, my mysterious leaks stopped.
          haha the valve stems? and I haven't checked them yet but I think the seals are at fault if I were to guess

also what all do I need to run the progressive set up aside from new seals and there kit? any special tools?

Comment

Working...
          X