Is there supposed to be slop in my brake lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there supposed to be slop in my brake lever

I just rebuilt my front master cylinder. I had things tore apart for about a month, so I'm a little fuzzy on how things were before. Now that the bike is bake on the road, it seems like I have a lot of free play in the brake lever before it actually makes contact with the mc plunger. Is this normal. Truthfully, I don't remember how it was before. I have a friend telling me that's not normal.

There was no return spring on the lever. I don't see one on the parts diagrams either. Thanks

Hi Cal ... Does the bolt or the lever have ware...? Pull it and look....

Comment

Originally posted by haztoys View Post
      Hi Cal ... Does the bolt or the lever have ware...? Pull it and look....

My original has a little wear in the lever bushing, but the new/used one I put on doesn't.

Maybe this is normal, maybe not. I've just never seen so much free play on a brake lever. I was thinking it should be more like my clutch lever. Shouldn't it.

Comment

So,,,could someone at least go pull on their brake lever and tell me if it has free play in it before making contact. Thanks

Comment

Mine has only a little bit of free play- less than my clutch.

Comment

Pump up the front brakes and hold the lever to the handle as tightly as you can. Now wrap it with a bungee cord and let it sit over night full pulled in. Then see how it is when you remove the bungee cord in the morning. Dont ask me how, but it works.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Pump up the front brakes and hold the lever to the handle as tightly as you can. Now wrap it with a bungee cord and let it sit over night full pulled in. Then see how it is when you remove the bungee cord in the morning. Dont ask me how, but it works.
              I tried your tip, and no luck. I don't believe it's a pressure kind of problem.

When I first reassembled it before any fluid was added, it has that much play. Like I said, maybe it's normal. I just wish someone would pull on their lever and tell me if it has play.

I have 3/4" of travel before the lever touches the plunger.

Comment

A quarter of an inch up by the cable is about normal. That is what you are seeing at the other end of the lever. Start worrying about it if that free play goes away, front brake lockup is soon to follow if it does. That's the travel distance for the master cylinder to block (pass) the return pressure hole before it starts applying pressure to the brakes.
                Last edited by OldVet66; 08-03-2012, 01:15 PM.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Cal View Post
                  I tried your tip, and no luck. I don't believe it's a pressure kind of problem.

When I first reassembled it before any fluid was added, it has that much play. Like I said, maybe it's normal. I just wish someone would pull on their lever and tell me if it has play.

I have 3/4" of travel before the lever touches the plunger.

Cal, I just went out and measured mine as you did, and I have roughly the same amount of play as you do. It is on my list to replace the lines and rebuild the MC and calipers. I'm not an expert Cal, but what I would worry about is fade (movement of the lever, while holding steady pressure) in the position or mushy-ness.

Glad to see you're still around.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks for the reply Charlie. At least now I know that part is normal.

Every time I look at my bike I think of how much better it looks with the tank/plastic's I got from you. Heck, just a hour ago a guy told me, "Nice looking Classic". That made me feel good as I was sitting there with my front brake locked up. But I all ready have a thread started about that.

So Chuck.

While the bungee trick didn't cure my slop...which now seems to be normal,,,it did slightly change the feel of the lever. It was a little firmer. Unfortunately my brakes locked up again with in a mile of riding the bike. The lever kept building more pressure. I all ready have a thread started on this subject. Can you guys take a look there please. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X