where can you get nitrogen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where can you get nitrogen?

I Bought a 83 Gs 750 E that was someone else s project that really didn't need much other than a few things and paint to complete. but i found they have changed the rear mono shock to one with a nitrogen can on it. of course it seems to be none in it as the shock has hardly resistance other than the spring.before i pitch it and buy a stock one off Ebay or some where, i would like to see if i could charge it up and see if it makes a difference.Is there any where you can buy a can of it? like freon with a hose and fitting (no i wont be using freon)or would i be wasting money even trying?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2012, 02:03 PM.

Any welding supply shop will have it- you might want to pick up a bottle somewhere-
    Usually any safe one will do depending on the shop.
    No- do not use freon or R134- R134 causes instant testicular cancer if you inhale it- not kidding.

Comment

i guess i should have been more clear, i wont be using freon, i just wondered if they had a kit available like that, since there seems to be many bikes with these types of shocks.

Comment

Well, if the nitrogen leaked out, the shock probably needs new seals

What brand shock is it?

Still, no harm in trying to recharge it. Who knows what the PO did? (Gee, what's that little valve for?)
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by lakesguypaul View Post
          I Bought a 83 Gs 750 E that was someone else s project that really didn't need much other than a few things and paint to complete. but i found they have changed the rear mono shock to one with a nitrogen can on it. of course it seems to be none in it as the shock has hardly resistance other than the spring.before i pitch it and buy a stock one off Ebay or some where, i would like to see if i could charge it up and see if it makes a difference.Is there any where you can buy a can of it? like freon with a hose and fitting (no i wont be using freon)or would i be wasting money even trying?
          Don't buy a stock one, they weren't all that great and at this point will be worn out. If yours has a remote reservoir it's something that can be rebuilt if it won't hold the nitrogen charge. Most good bike shops should be able to charge the shock for you, especially if they're big on dirt bikes.

Comment

i put a wanted ad on craigs list and found a local quad racing team that will fill it and check for leaks for 30.00 which seems fair and he also informed me that the shock must be removed from the bike because it has to be fully extended to be done properly. i will check the make of the shock and let everyone know what kind it is and how it works out as i could not find a thread on this type of thing on here. thanks for everyone input,

Comment

Working...
            X