Need help. Just replaced chain and now too much side to side slack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help. Just replaced chain and now too much side to side slack

hey guys i just replaced my new chain on. its 530 with 114 links just like OEM states.
    The problem I am having is that there is too much side to side play IMO. It moves quite a bit and i dont feel too safe with it as is.
    As of now, the adjusters are even on both sides (on the same notches)
    when i use the adjusters to tighten the left side, it causes the chain to become very tight. could my chain be too short for my application?

the adjusters are at the second notch on the swing arm on both sides. and the chain tension is about 1.5" of free play at the middle of the chain
    heres a video showing the side-to side play
    Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2012, 11:29 PM.

That looks like a very cheap chain. No, it should not do that. Return it and buy a good one.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Your adjustment marks are likely off.
      It look to me as if the wheel and sprocket are cocked so the front is turned slightly to the right.

The slapping is caused by the chain coming off the rear at an angle and then being "straightened" to align with the front sprocket.

Comment

Did you get the 6mm spacer with your new front sprocket?
        With a 530 conversion you should have a different size chain- mine went up to a 118 link.
        After seeing that video- do not ride like that- very unsafe!
        Give Z1 a call and tell them what you need- they will match you up perfectly for the conversion.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I didn't replace the sprockets. They are new from the PO. Chain is OEM 530 with 114 links
          This is a 85 700e

Comment

That chain is garbage.

Eric

Comment

how come the chain is garbage? how do you tell the chain is no good?
              its a Volar brand with o-rings
              i got it on ebay.
              this is the brand i got
              Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5t341th View Post
                how come the chain is garbage? how do you tell the chain is no good?
                Have YOU WATCHED YOUR video?????
                Garbage!

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  Have YOU WATCHED YOUR video?????
                  Garbage!

Eric
                  well i have no others to compare to. this is my first chain bike and first replacement ever

Comment

the chain looks bent. I don't think it is though.
                    I would try tightening the chain to take out all the slack, lubricate it and run it on the centerstand only. That may straighten it out.
                    then set the tension properly and see what it is like, check the tension in more than one spot on the chain, It may be OK.
                    If not deal with it through the manufacturer and/or the supplier
                    Last edited by derwood; 08-06-2012, 12:24 AM.
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

That chain is kinked sideways in several locations.
                      It should not be going sideways at all.
                      I am trying to load a video that I just took of an old worn out chain that looks to be in a lot better shape.
                      I am not going to adjust it or take the chain guard off at this hour of the night but here goes nothing...

Eric

Comment

I noticed one thing.
                        I have a delrin type of material towards the front of the swingarm that i guess is there for the chain to rub against. it seems to have deep grooves from the old chain. it seems to make the new chain follow the grooves that are on there. are these supposed to be changed out as well?

it is #11 on the diagram

Comment

Not necessarily.
                          Adjust the chain correctly and it might hit that from time to time only.
                          Replace if it is getting thin enough to be close to hitting the metal.

Eric

Comment

I have the same chain, mine also had a wobble spot(very minimal compared to that), I tightened it up a little bit, went for a ride, came back and it was straight.
                            I've beaten the **** out of my Volar, it's still holding perfect slack, no wobble.

Also...are you absolutely SURE that the previous owner has the proper sprockets, and proper spacers were used?
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

I love my Tsubaki chain
                              pricy but nor discenrible side play

in fact it is so solid side to side that it s a PITA to get on the bike.

Tsooooooooo Bacheeee

Comment

Working...
                              X