New tires..new tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tires..new tube?

I purchased some tires from a local motorcycle shop. Cycle Specialties here in Cincinnati.

I bought Shinko 712 tires. I had the mechanic mount and balance them. So I drop off the rims and old tires and he does his work. He calls me about 20 minutes later and states that I need a "tube" for the tire.

Now, I thought I saw on the tire "tubeless", so I asked why do I need a new tube if these are tubeless tires....He stated that his 78 Suzuki uses tubes in the tire and that the fiche showed a tube as well.

The tubes were $20 a piece. So I had to purchase those as well.

My question is, do I HAVE to use a tube or is this something that is optional? Just curious as it raised my bill with parts and labor, etc.

Unless your rims are marked tubeless it's best to put in a tube IMHO.You can go tubeless but you need to machine the rim to acecpt a tubeless valve.

Comment

What exactly is a "tube" I am brand new to the motorcycle tire scene.

It just threw me off as the tires read "tubeless", but I guess it depends on the rim?

Comment

Ever ride a bicycle? Same idea just bigger for ours. Like SV said, unless the rims are marked for tubeless you'll need them.

With that said, there are many posts on here where people run without them but you should be careful you don't lose too much air. Personally, I'll just run tubes anyway.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

My front rim is tubeless rear is not. I run tubeless tires since i bought the bike in 2010. Guess what... front began to loose air slowly this summer rear is stable go figure . Both are worn out and will be replaced shortly.
          My guess is the front rim need to be clean or the tire itself let go air, i have look for puncture but can't find any even with use of water and soap. Next pair will be tubeless, last 2 seasons with no problems so far so... i'll keep on rolling.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by GS650E_81 View Post
            What exactly is a "tube" I am brand new to the motorcycle tire scene.
            "Tube" is short for "inner tube". The older rims are somewhat porous (they are not air tight) and so an inner tube is required to hold the air inside the tire. It's like a bladder, shaped like a round balloon on the inside of the tire.

My rear wheel is marked "Tubeless Tire Applicable" and so I run the rear tire without a tube.

My front wheel is not marked that way so I use an inner tube. The inner tubes are re-usable when it's time for a new tire. I think this is the fourth front tire using the same tube on my bike. But lately I've noticed that my front tire looses air pressure faster than my rear tire. I think I'll get a new tube with my next new front tire.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Tubes are cheap and as they are rubber they will perish at some point. So I have always considered them as a disposable item and when it come to tyre change time I fit new tubes as well. I always cut off the valve stem with pliers to stop the tube being used again but strangely I hang on to the now completely useless tubes in case I find a use for them.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                ...but strangely I hang on to the now completely useless tubes in case I find a use for them.
                If you ever need strips of rubber for some strange project or activity, you're set!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys. I figured it had something to do with keeping the air pressure in the tire.

I got new bearings, tubes and tires. I should be good for a while!

Comment

Working...
                  X