No announcement yet.

85 GS700 to 96 GSXR750 swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rob Wilton used to post here all the time as katman. He did some beautiful builds and documented them. Here's his site. He has specs for just about every suspension and wheel option available. He is where I got the idea to run the CBR954 triple with the '95 GSX-R forks.

Comment

thanks billy ricks. seems like you are the only one reading my thread.
      I just tried to install the cables for the throttle/choke. What cables did you buy them for? the GSXR or the GS? seems like even the GSXR is a bit too long

Comment

Really can't answer what cables but if they have the right ends, which they should, I would probably go with GSX-R so you don't end up with too much cable. I'm running RS flatslides with a Yoshimura throttle assembly. You need a push/pull throttle with these carbs.

EDIT: Just saw you already tried the GSX-R cables. Try routing them the long way around the steering head if you haven't already.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5t341th View Post
          thanks billy ricks. seems like you are the only one reading my thread.
          I just tried to install the cables for the throttle/choke. What cables did you buy them for? the GSXR or the GS? seems like even the GSX-R is a bit too long
          I think other people are reading but they know there are three or four of us who have done these mods to either the '83 750 or the 700. Rather than give bad info they know one of us will be along with the answer.

Comment

i guess i have to use gsxr cables as the GS ones are too long.
            I bolted most of the front end up. The problem I have now is the caliper housing rubs on the rotor. im not sure if this happened before but its causing major drag on the wheel. (this is only on one side) I already ordered new rotors, so i hope the old rotors are the problem (because they do have a lot of play)

hey billy ricks. I got a question for you. how much lower are you in the front and rear compared to stock? I want a good idea what height i was at because i also want to modify the seat cushion a bit so i can flat foot. I'm 5'8 and its still not enough
            Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2012, 02:06 AM.

Comment

I've been reading it but with my rsu style rf900 fork i can't really be of much help. I do have a koso rx1 gauge package on it that would work for you, but at $350 it's not cheap. I think with the matching rear wheel mounted it will probably be low enough for you but, ground clearance may be a problem. This is my 750. Rear wheel is '89 1100 like the front
              Last edited by kingofvenus; 09-09-2012, 12:09 PM.
              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

thanks. u are still using the original swinger right? the 89 1100 wheel is how wide? 4.5?
                i have a rear end off the 96 gsxr750(which is 6) and i also bought a 98 katana wheel (4.5) just in case.

Comment

After my experience with the 5.5" wheel I would use the 4.5" wheel if you have it to hand...

I think the main reason or the 954 top triple is that it is stepped so you can mount the forks an inch lower than the bearing top cap effectively giving you extra fork length... Extended fork caps is another good solution to fork length.

I used an 1100 RSU fork which just about gave me sufficient length.

For inspiration:

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yes, the '89 1100 is a 4.5x17. It will be alot easier to mount the 4.5 wheel. I recently switched to a '94 1100 swingarm (a lot of work) but kept the 4.5 wheel. One of these days i'll have to take some new pictures of it.
                      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

To mount the 5.5" I had to stretch the swingarm, tidy up some of Suzuki's welds, switch to a 520 chain & offset the front sprocket... It wasn't simple.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

To mount the 5.5" I had to stretch the swingarm, tidy up some of Suzuki's welds, switch to a 520 chain & offset the front sprocket... It wasn't simple.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

You won't have any trouble flat footing your bike after the conversion. With the suspension set up for your weight you shouldn't have much of an issue with clearance. You're going from a 16to a 17 up front so that helps a little. A 4>2>1 really helps but are hard to find. I bought a Hindle meant for a GSX-R when they closed out the last of the oil cooled pipes.

Comment

thanks for the help guys. i appreciate it. here's a few pics of the bike rolled out of the garage. I wanted to sit in it and see how it feels and so far i do like it. I'm going to mount the gsxr rearsets onto my GS so i can have my legs further back.

Comment

Hello guys. I started on the rear end. I tried to fit the gsxr750 swinger by its too much work and fab for me. I am going to use the 4.5 wheel. This one is from a 98 katana 600 according to the eBay seller. It is a 5 bolt and did not come with a sprocket carrier or rotor. I need help matching a sprocket carrier for this wheel. I searched up this topic and there's a lot of info but I want to confirm. Will a 88 Gsxr carrier work? Or would a gs500? I am trying to find a compatible part that is cheaper than the katana parts. I know this wheel is a 20mm axle. Also, what caliper/rotor/bracket should I be using?
                                I don't want to buy unnecessary/wrong parts that won't work. Or does anyone have extras they wanna sell me?
                                Thanks

Edit. OOoppps. My rear axle is 17mm not 20!
                                Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X