Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an E front caliper be mounted to L forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can an E front caliper be mounted to L forks?

Talked to Mike at Z1, and he said he wasn't sure. He also wasn't sure if the parts on the 2 calipers were interchangeable or not. This is for my /79 GS550L.

Thanks for input.

Tommy

What bits do you want to move over? Some will go, some won't
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      What bits do you want to move over? Some will go, some won't

I need the piston boot that keeps crap out of the piston bore and whatnot. No fiche carries it for the 77-79 L models, but they do carry it for the E models. If that will work then I am good. If not, then I might consider swapping the L caliper for an E one.

Thanks,
      Tommy

Comment

Here you go:

Or better still buy a stainless piston kit here:

Wemoto is a UK company stocking the most, top quality motorcycle parts for the Suzuki GS 550 LT (US Model) 1979, all available online on our easy website

The boot is the same thing by the way.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

On Babbit's parts fiche...

Does mention boot is NLA, but looks like hampshirehog has you covered.
          '80 GS1000ST
          '92 ZX-11
          Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Here you go:

Or better still buy a stainless piston kit here:

Wemoto is a UK company stocking the most, top quality motorcycle parts for the Suzuki GS 550 LT (US Model) 1979, all available online on our easy website

Jesus razor t!ts! That is freakin' awesome! Thank you so much. What is the advantage of running the SS piston? The stock piston is in good shape with no pitting or scratches along it's shaft.

Again, thank you for those links.

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
            On Babbit's parts fiche...

Does mention boot is NLA, but looks like hampshirehog has you covered.
            Yup, I tried everywhere, and both Z1 and Boulevard Suzuki said they can 't get 'em, at least not in this country.

Comment

Here you go:

In my excitement I totally missed this part. Are you saying the little piston seal boot--#3 on the CMS fiche-- is the same on the E and L models?

Tommy
              Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2012, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Don't expect to actually "get" all of the parts, if you order from babbit's.
                Just sayin....

Comment

Update on parts

Okay, got a quick update here. I ordered the piston boot and seal kit from WEMOTO, as well as a couple bleeders and washers. Surprisingly quick shipping considering they're coming from across the pond in the UK.

First off, the seal was way too small and didn't fit. Fortunately, the original seal appears to be in fantastic shape with no tears, cracking, or gouges, so I'll run that FOR NOW...I will order a new seal soon.

The piston boot itself fits perfectly, so I am very hapy with that.

In the meantime I have the calipers, pistons and bleeders soaking in brake fluid to clean them. I don't really care if the paint comes off, I just want the brakes to work well.

Tommy

Comment

Working...
                  X