Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing/Rebuilding/Replacing Shocks

Hello All,

I have a 1980 GS250T that I'm trying to get back to it's original level of performance. I'm thinking about the dual shocks (more correctly "dampers" I guess) in the back.

First of all, how can I test them to see if they need anything? I assume they do just from age, but I guess it's good to test.

Second of all, if they do need it, can they be serviced or rebuilt? I don't want to spend a ton of money, but is it the sort of thing a suspension shop can do for me for a few hundred dollars, valved and sprung correctly?

Finally, if not, and they need to be replaced, what are the options? My notes (all info taken from this forum) tell me that YSS shocks are an option: http://www.yssusa.com/products_yss.html. Edit: I see other options on the "Greeting" page, but there is no comment about the YSS other than to say they exist. Anyone tried them?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2012, 03:56 PM.

For a few hundred dollars, you can buy new aftermarket shocks that will better than the originals were when new...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      For a few hundred dollars, you can buy new aftermarket shocks that will better than the originals were when new...
      I'm looking into the Progressive 12 Series now... looks like a great deal for decent suspension. But, it doesn't come with springs. Can I reuse the springs I have now (assuming they fit), or do I need to somehow figure out the spring rate and order new springs?

(Thanks in advance!)
      Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Call Progressive they'll help you figure out what springs, they helped me with my Series 12 shocks. I went with some springs that were 15% stiffer then my old Street Strokers.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          Call Progressive they'll help you figure out what springs, they helped me with my Series 12 shocks. I went with some springs that were 15% stiffer then my old Street Strokers.
          I've called them twice already. They told me they'd never heard of a GS250 and that they had no idea what I needed, but I could measure stock equipment and call them back to get their closest fit.

Also, one guy at Progressive told me that the Series 12 shocks come with spacers for the bushings to fit most bikes, another said they don't and are separate. Do you know if they do or not? (I know I need 12mm inner diameter of eye, no idea if that's common to all GS's or not.)

Comment

Give Dave Quinn a call about the Hagon shocks he sells; you'll get a good deal. His website is www.davequinnmotorcycles.com
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Give Dave Quinn a call about the Hagon shocks he sells; you'll get a good deal. His website is www.davequinnmotorcycles.com
              I did this. For anyone else looking, this is the answer! A 5 minute chat, $194, and two new gas-charged shocks with springs were on their way to me. Dave seems like a great guy to work with.

Comment

Progressive Suspension's shocks are OK, but their customer service sucks.

Call Dave Quinn and get some Hagons from someone who will actually answer the phone. They're slightly cheaper, too, and he will exchange springs if you need something different.

All the Progressive shocks I've installed have come with a selection of bushings. 12mm is the most common stud size, so I don't see why they wouldn't include the bushings. But who knows... I wouldn't put it past some accountant to save 1.2 cents per package by omitting the extra bushings.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'm running Progressive 14 Series shocks on my GS550 with the stock springs (and the stock spring retainers). They work well. About $120 from Motorcycle Superstore.

Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X