Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tarozzi Fork Braces for 77 and 79 GS750, which one for 1978?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tarozzi Fork Braces for 77 and 79 GS750, which one for 1978?

Yes, I searched. No answers emerged.

The FAst From the Past catalog for Tarozzi fork braces shows two products for early GS750s, one for the 1977 model and one for the 1979 model. I want one for my 1978 GS750.

I asked Jim Henshaw at FFTP about the difference. BTW, Jim is super responsive and great with customer service. He was very helpful with my questions about rearsets, etc. He explained:

Both braces are designed for a center to center distance between fork tubes of 175mm. The difference is in the fitting diameter (the area on the upper part of the lower fork stanchion where the fork clamps) – see attached installation instructions picture. 24-0037 is designed to clamp around a diameter of 57mm x 60mm. Dual numbers mean there is a step. 24-0040 is designed for 58mm fitting diameter. You would need to measure your bike to see which is correct.
    So I looked at the fiches for the different GS750 models to see if I could spot the "step" he mentions. The grainy fiche pictures all look the same though.

Can someone here tell me whether the 1978 model has the stepped stanchion on the lowers or the later non-stepped version? Also, what would the "stepped" stanchion look like? I suppose that means that the diameter on either side of the duct boot channel changes (e.g., the part above the boot channel is thinner than the rest of the fork below).

I can measure my forks tonight, but was hoping to get an order in today.

TIA

Just FYI, I finally measured the relevant part of the fork lowers. My 1978 had no "step" and measured 57mm and change. Call it 58mm after accounting for operator error (using calipers on the bike in garage at night). Definitely not the 57mm x 60mm of the other brace.

So 1978 = 1979 for Tarozzi braces.

Comment

I have tarozzi #24-0040 on mine - perfect fit.
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
      X