First DIY rear tire change on 650 Shaftie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First DIY rear tire change on 650 Shaftie

After using this site for advice for over a year, I thought it was time to give something back. So here is my contribution. The manual says to do this job on the center stand and remove the fender. Not necessary! BTW, one could use a come-along attached to a tree or garage ceiling instead of an engine hoist.

First, I ran a 3/8" long extension under the top of the frame and through a short length of chain:

Then I used an engine crane to lift the bike (after bungee cording the front wheel straight ahead) and set it down on some wooden blocks. I kept the crane in place during the job in case something slipped.

Now it's easy to lift high enough to get the wheel out without removing the fender and associated wiring as the manual recommends.

Clean up splines.

Tired tire!

Break the beads using a big c clamp, protect splines from dirt using tape.

Use the right tools (NOT screwdrivers!)

New vlave stem, of course.

Budget balancer.

Some "Sticky" weights (clean the rim with BrakeKlean first).

Done! 3 hours at a lazy pace!

Hi,

Nice work!

Did you lube the spline gear with Moly 60 paste? The '82 models had the softer gears that wear more quickly.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

No, just cleaned with a cloth and added some ordinary wheel bearing grease.

Comment

Not sure but I don't think the 650s had the problem with the soft splines, although they should still get the Moly paste.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Pretty sure the 650 did come with the soft spline. Just helped blueblocker replace the spline in his bike last weekend. Thing was junk in less than 20k miles. He bought a complete wheel w/black spline, just to get the spline (price was good). When the part arrived it looked like brand new.

I'd pull that wheel back off and inspect the spline carefully. And get the proper grease.
          Last edited by Nessism; 08-23-2012, 02:39 PM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,

Either way, the (Honda) Moly 60 paste is much better suited for the high pressures, high temperatures, and friction that the rear drive gears encounter. Otherwise they will wear much more quickly than normal.

BassCliff

Comment

Boy, talk about doing it the HARD way.

I don't have an engine hoist or any other lifting device other than a motorcycle jack (that I seldom use), let alone anywhere to anchor an overhead device. You had part of the solution right there. A 2x4 under the centerstand is ALL it takes. I even have a chrome rail on the back of my 850 that goes under the bottom of the fender extension. The tire rolls out right under that, although I do have to dodge the mud flap.

I agree with the others, you should really go back and inspect your wheel splines. You have to look very carefully, because the ends of the teeth that you can see will never get worn. You have to look beyond them, down to where the wear happens. Might even be best to remove the splines entirely, clean all the improper grease off, and re-lube with the proper stuff, Honda Moly 60. That grease comes in a small tube that fits the mini-grease guns, and will cost about $12. If you only have the one shaft-driven bike, that one tube will last until your grandson gets the bike, it doesn't take very much. Look at the color of your splines. You might have gold-ish ones, which are the weakest ones. Older ones are black, newer ones are silver, both are better than the gold.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Some days I just don't feel like playing with boards either. Just hook it up to the winch and lift away.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                  Some days I just don't feel like playing with boards either. Just hook it up to the winch and lift away.
                  Look at his second picture.

He already had it on more boards than I use.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Hi,

Either way, the (Honda) Moly 60 paste is much better suited for the high pressures, high temperatures, and friction that the rear drive gears encounter. Otherwise they will wear much more quickly than normal.

BassCliff
                    Hey Cliff,
                    That doesn't look like Moly smeared all over the wheel bearing and your splines looks dry?

BTW, the 650G came with the crappy spline hub for a few years too. I had an '82 with a worthless soft spline.

Comment

Originally posted by qisteve View Post

Now it's easy to lift high enough to get the wheel out without removing the fender and associated wiring as the manual recommends.

Clean up splines.

Tired tire!

Break the beads using a big c clamp, protect splines from dirt using tape.

Budget balancer.

Some "Sticky" weights (clean the rim with BrakeKlean first).

Done! 3 hours at a lazy pace!
                      Next time you might want to take a brush and green 3m scrubbie to that rim to get rid of old rubber bead crud before mounting the new tire.

...and you do need to remove the 6 bolts and the spline from the rim to inspect and lube properly. Just soak the spline in an inch of kerosene in an old cool whip container and brush with an old toothbrush. It will be totally clean, free from grit and ready for Moly if the splines are still good.

I, too, think it's easier to use the centerstand and 2 wooden blocks, but thank you for the alternative method and idea. I've changed dozens of tires on many GS models and the extra 1 5/8" clearance is all you need to slide the tire out and away without removing fender parts.

Comment

I used disc brake grease. Is using Moly really critical? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
                          I used disc brake grease. Is using Moly really critical? Thanks.
                          Yes, the splines routinely see huge pressure on them, they are not bathed in oil or anything, this lube is all they get and they do wear out and fail. The moly helps with the wear.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Also keep in mind that it does not take much "Moly" to be able to call a grease a "moly" grease. I think the minimum is something like 3 or 4%.

The Honda Moly 60 that we refer to is 60% molybdnum disulfide ("moly"), which is MUCH better for lubing the splines.

That little tube is the size that will fit in a mini grease gun (but you don't need the gun) and will cost about $12 at the Honda shop. Unless you have a large stable full of shafties (like mine), that one tube will last until your grandson inherits your bike.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

GS rear wheel removal

All I had to do to get clearance was put the bike on the center stand, unbolt the shocks, and bend the license plate back a little. Hey Steve, I'm from Holbrook.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X