Put Harley shocks on the 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put Harley shocks on the 550

Okay, so I bought a pair of Harley shocks off Craigslist to replace the worn out stock ones. Ad said Progressive shocks, like new, etc. $60. Somehow I knew it was too good to be true.

Don't recall seeing any of PS's shocks with those stickers before. I checked the bottom of them and found "Made in Me--" stamped on them. i can only assume "Me--" stands for Mexico.

So much for a high quality project. Whatever, I'll run them and see how they work.

Just a word of advice for other guys looking to buy new shocks: don't make my mistake. Progressive brand stuff isn't going to go for less than $100 on CL, so if it looks too good to be true, it is.

Tommy

Sorry for your bad luck, it's kinda a crap shoot buying parts sight unseen.

I did, however, buy these Progressives awhile back for $90 off ebay, with shipping it was a bit more. I did have to change the mounting grommets though. They have served the '81 GS750L very well.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      Sorry for your bad luck, it's kinda a crap shoot buying parts sight unseen.

I did, however, buy these Progressives awhile back for $90 off ebay, with shipping it was a bit more. I did have to change the mounting grommets though. They have served the '81 GS750L very well.

Nice. How did you change the size of those by the way? I was thinking I'd have to make little sleaves that inside the current holes to shrink them down.

Tommy

Comment

Similar looking sticker to the ones that are still on these that I bought about 20 years ago.
        Perhaps they faded over all of these years as I don't remember what they looked like when they were new.

Eric

Comment

What bad luck? You got a deal. Don't be such a Gloomy Gus.

Those are definitely Progressive 12 series shocks. That's just an older style sticker -- my Progressive shocks are about 10 years old and have identical stickers.

And yes, Progressive shocks are made in Mexico, and have been for a long time.

If this bugs you, bear in mind that you bought them used, so your money, at least, will stay in the US of A, unless the seller goes to Cancun or something.

New Progressive shocks come with a package of bushings to make the eye fit a variety of stud sizes. If the Hardley shocks didn't come with bushings, go back and get them (IIRC, Hardleys use 1/2" studs and your GS uses 12mm studs, so you use the same bushing), or call up Progressive and see if you can get a set.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            What bad luck? You got a deal. Don't be such a Gloomy Gus.

Those are definitely Progressive 12 series shocks. That's just an older style sticker -- my Progressive shocks are about 10 years old and have identical stickers.

And yes, Progressive shocks are made in Mexico, and have been for a long time.

If this bugs you, bear in mind that you bought them used, so your money, at least, will stay in the US of A, unless the seller goes to Cancun or something.

New Progressive shocks come with a package of bushings to make the eye fit a variety of stud sizes. If the Hardley shocks didn't come with bushings, go back and get them (IIRC, Hardleys use 1/2" studs and your GS uses 12mm studs, so you use the same bushing), or call up Progressive and see if you can get a set.
            Huh, no sh*t? I did not know that. That makes me feel a little better then. However, the shocks only came with two sleeves, so I'm two short. I'll check out Progressive and see what I can get, but I might just end up making the sleeves myself out of some round stock.

Tommy

Comment

Working...
            X