GSX750ES rusty front fork inner tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX750ES rusty front fork inner tube

My GSX750ES has shallow rust in the front fork inner tube. There's rust only in the part exposed to the elements. Not in the part that rubs against the oils seal.
    I guess this only has aesthetic implications. Being a perfectionist person I want to have this issue resolved.
    I have 2 options :

1) Have the inner tube re-chromed. I doubt if the tube, after being stripped of it's original chrome will keep it's precise dimensions which might lead to oil leaks.

2) Buy a pair of new ones :

Which path do I take ?

Nothing wrong with getting your fork stanchions re-chromed - in fact they will be a lot, lot better than new originals. And the dimensions will be spot on.

I use these guys:

If you phone ask for Frank. Cost is £140 a pair including return p&p (you have to get them there - a tenner with CityLink). Their turnaround varies depending on how busy they are but bank on not having them back for a fortnight (Philpotts was 6 weeks last time I spoke to them).

Having said that, ABE stanchions are good quality - and that Ebay ad is ABE themselves (the address is the same). The price is the same as on their website and it is the cheapest you'll pick up a set of quality stanchions (the cheap £50 / pair ones are made in India - I doubt you'll find them for your bike but don't be tempted as they are rubbish).

Here's the ABE website:

79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If re-chroming pricing is that close to buying new high quality stanchions made from modern materials, I think I'll vote for the ABE stanchions...

Comment

The guy from ABE says there are 2 type of GSX750ES stanchions : With and without air hole at the top (see attached picture).
        My rusty stanchions do not have the air hole he talks about.
        Can I use both for my GSX750 ?
        I'm asking this because I found what could be a cheaper option for me on ebay and it seem to have the air hole :

Comment

you can use either as far as I know, as long as you get the collar with the ones with the hole's as this is your way of adding air to the system to stiffen up the shock, I have this on my bike

it's old technology, and most guys are going with progressive springs and opting out of the air system....

just my 2 cents

Comment

1. Look again in the ebay link I brought. I think it shows the air collar.

2. I have custom non progressive springs from sonic springs. Their Engineer (I found him to be a very intelligent person) insisted that the non progressive are much better.
            Considering these facts, it seems that this ebay deal is a very good option for me , right ?

Comment

The collar is there. I wouldn't bother with those forks though - that was just a short lived thing and although not to troublesome it is another potential thing to go wrong.

I would go for the tubes without the holes.

Plus what have they quoted you on shipping? I would be surprised if it's cheap. And beware the customs man (and his Post Office enforcers).
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I guess I'll stick to the ABE stanchions. New and stiffer than the stock ones.
                Customs and post office are a sad story where I live. They don't like shipments of auto parts. Especially parts "that will alter safety components"
                I'd rather have a friend who visits the UK hide them in a barrel of Methamphetamine :-)

Comment

Since I had all fork components replaced with NOS ones or better than NOS replacement ones, I eventually chose the expensive solution and ordered new ABE stanchions.
                  At this point I also decided to have the fork disassembled to atoms and have outer parts powder coated.
                  I'm experiencing problems in dissassemling the 2 following parts in the attached picture :

1) The golden part has a black knob with 4 settings. I removed it and it revealed what seems to be a cap with 2 holes (marked as # 1 in attached picture).
                  I impro(vise)d a vise-grip with 2 hardened steel nails and gently tried to open this cap but to no avail. Is it welded ?

2) I removed every possible bolt in the outer tube (including the hidden one marked as # 2 in attached picture) but still the stanchions would not go off. Why ?
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Sorry to but in on your thread but I would like to show you my fork stanchions. Are these salvageable?

The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

Sorry about the size of this:

I would prefer to keep my own rather than buy a new set from the ABE guys but it is nice to know they are there if there are no alternatives.

BTW do GS owners in UK meet anywhere anytime. Is there a UK thread? I can't find one.

Greetings. Richard
                    Richard
                    sigpic
                    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Believe me it doesn't worth the bother. Your corrosion looks nasty.
                      Use the old ones as pull-ups bars and spend 170 pound on a new, 100% straight ,stiffer than NOS, ABE set.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX750ES junky View Post
                        There's rust only in the part exposed to the elements. Not in the part that rubs against the oils seal.
                        Not quite sure how to tell you this, and your picture does not show exactly where your "problem" area is, but ...
                        the section of fork tube above the oil seals and below the lower triple clamp DOES get "rubbed by the oil seal" whenever you hit a bump.

If you are worried about rusting between the two triple clamps, THAT area is purely aesthetic and does not matter.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                          Sorry to but in on your thread but I would like to show you my fork stanchions. Are these salvageable?

The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

Sorry about the size of this:

I would prefer to keep my own rather than buy a new set from the ABE guys but it is nice to know they are there if there are no alternatives.

BTW do GS owners in UK meet anywhere anytime. Is there a UK thread? I can't find one.

Greetings. Richard
                          Those are shot....you will have nothing but leaks, and over here they would not pass inspection by the motor vehicle authority

get new ones, or have those ones re chromed

Comment

Since I had all fork components replaced with NOS ones or better than NOS replacement ones, I eventually chose the expensive solution and ordered new ABE stanchions.
                            At this point I also decided to have the fork disassembled to atoms and have outer parts powder coated.
                            I'm experiencing problems in dissassemling the 2 following parts in the attached picture :

1) The golden part has a black knob with 4 settings. I removed it and it revealed what seems to be a cap with 2 holes (marked as # 1 in attached picture).
                            I impro(vise)d a vise-grip with 2 hardened steel nails and gently tried to open this cap but to no avail. Is it welded ?

2) I removed every possible bolt in the outer tube (including the hidden one marked as # 2 in attached picture) but still the stanchions would not go off. Why ?
                            Re-posting my questions...
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2012, 11:25 AM.

Comment

After you remove the bolt you need to pull firm to slam inner spacer to break the seal free. It feels like you are breaking something but it will come free with a few good pulls..

Comment

Working...
                              X