Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a vetter fairing too heavy for a gs450S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a vetter fairing too heavy for a gs450S?

HAve the opportunity to pick up a vetter windjammer 3. Would like to put it on my gs450S for long trips. My concern is that it is too heavy for the bike. Alternative is handlebar mounted fairing.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Francis Stefani
    Austin, Texas

1980 gs450S, mostly stock, but without the original mini-farining.

That bike is under-powered enough as it is.
    I would go with a smaller/light-weight fairing if I liked fairings.

Eric

Comment

Why don't you just get a nice windshield and a RAM cupholder or something?

Comment

They are fairly light so I don't think it would be too heavy, unless you cram it full of stuff like I do. Even empty on a small bike you'll really notice a higher center of gavity. The biggest issue might be wind drag. The smaller Vetter Quicksilver might be a better choice. But sometimes ya gota run what ya got. Handle bar mounted shield will surely be easier/cheeper to get.

Buddy
        09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
        83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
        81 GS650G for the wife.
        82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
        I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
        If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
        Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Something else to think on with the Vetter on a small bike is the forks. Have the springs been upgraded to progressive? Seals redone? I know the windjammer isn't really heavy but adding 20-30 pounds directly over the forks could cause some bottoming out.

I have an 1100 gl and had to put some spacers on top of the fork springs to hold the weight.

Comment

I think they're about 20lbs. My 550 has no problem with the weight, but it does work harder around 70+mph. Love the ride behind it though, wouldn't trade it for anything. Keeps me nice and dry in the rain, warm in the cold

Comment

Working...
            X