Buggered up fork seal removal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buggered up fork seal removal...

Okay, so I totally screwed this one up. Yes, it's because of my lack of familiarity with suspension.

So I figured I'd pry out the seals while I wait for the new ones to get here. Oh boy. At first I figured they'd come out pretty easily so I tried to pull 'em out with pliers. That didn't work too well, so tried prying them with a screwdriver. I'm sure you see where this is going.

After that failed, I read on here that I could try heating them a little bit, or trying to burn them out. Well, I may have gotten a little overzealous with the torch in my frustration...

After the I realized the tube had changed color I stopped heating and began cursing. Then I went to O'Reilly's and bought a seal puller. That worked much better.

Unfortunately, dug too deep with the tool the first try and snagged the wall of the slider.

Will that gouge be a problem for the seal? Can I file it down with a Dremel and then smooth it with some JB Weld? Or should I be looking for a new slider?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy

Originally posted by tbrand69 View Post
    Can I file it down with a Dremel and then smooth it with some JB Weld? Or should I be looking for a new slider?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy
    Yes. It will be fine after you clean it up.
    You can get by with grinding down the burr and applying ultra-black to the outside edge of the seal when installing.

Eric
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      Yes. It will be fine after you clean it up.
      You can get by with grinding down the burr and applying ultra-black to the outside edge of the seal when installing.

Eric
      Phew, good to know. Just to clarify, I rub a bead of the ultrablack on the seal itself, not the tube, right?

What about the golden slider? Any way I can make it look normal again?

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by tbrand69 View Post
        What about the golden slider? Any way I can make it look normal again?
        You probably just scorched the clear coat. You can try some brake cleaner or carb cleaner spray (or some other solvent), or some very fine sandpaper to clean it off.

Of course, you take some of it off, it's going to make the rest of it look tacky, so you just might end up doing the entire length of both forks.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

you might the golden color out by using a wire wheel on a drill and see if it will remove the discoloration or some sanding with a fine grit paper, be aware you might need to do the entire fork tube, as well as the other one, to make them look the same...

if your worried about that....

Steve beat me to it.....

Comment

You can polish the tubes. take all the clear off both of them and polish away. Next time, just heat it all the way around untill you start to see a little "bubbling" around the seal and the tube mating surfaces. Then use a big stiff flat tip and get just under the edge of the seal and pry it out using the edge of the tube as your fulcrum. Those seal pullers with that curved face force it in and down and you get what happened there. Apply the RTV to both the fork and the seal when applying the new ones. The little bit that squishes out the bottom is wiped off with a rag.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Perfect. Thank you for the advice, gentlemen. Looks like I've got some polishing to do tonight. I'll just wire wheel the sliders and then hit them with the buffing wheel if I need to.

Tommy

Comment

using a wire wheel this will give you a satin/matte finish, if you use a buffing wheel after you will then get a polished finish...

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                  using a wire wheel this will give you a satin/matte finish, if you use a buffing wheel after you will then get a polished finish...

Satin does sound nice, but isn't it more susceptible to stains soaking in, rust, ect.?

Comment

no rusting on aluminum....

it will still be smooth, just not a mirror finish, so you can treat it with some metal buffing compound to protect it, or spray some clear coat on them (I don't like to do that)

all my parts were either polished to mirror finish, or satin finish, none were clear coated, but all were rubbed down with metal polish, and you then just have to do periodic maintenance.

exposed aluminum will oxidize, so you will have to do some upkeep

satin finish

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

polished

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Dont the seals normally pop out when you pull the top tube (slider) out of the fork ?
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Dont the seals normally pop out when you pull the top tube (slider) out of the fork ?
                        Yup they do, but oddly most folks don't seem to know that. The downside to that method, however, is that some time you need to put a little force into it and parts have been known to go flying, especially if you don't put the cap back on

Other than that way, the next easiest method I find is to cut one side of the seal with a dremel tool, distort the seal and pull it with pliers.

It can be a tough and frustrating job when you first try it but once you get the knack its not so difficult. Just avoid flame

cheers,
                        Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                          The tubes slid out nice and clean like when i took them apart. The seals didn't budge at all. When I took the retaining clip out, they still refused to move. Even with the seal puller, they took quite a bit of force to finally pop out. My guess is that they were very, very old.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                            Depends on the model / design of the forks. Some forks you put the seals in first before putting the tubes back in and others you put the tubes in and fit the seals afterwards. The controlling factor is the bushes - if they are there and if so how they fit.
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer
                            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Ive slammmmmmmed many a set and the easiest way ive found is the heat then and screwdriver pry method. After 30 years or so that seal is almost made itself part of the metal. The heat softens the rubber and expands the tube..both good for removing them. But to each their own i say. Bes sure the retainer clips are put before slamming away though.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X