Tire Stem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Stem

Ok so I got a new Mich front tire for my 1979 gs850 and tube.. Goes flat 25 miles into first ride. Mechanic says he wants to put in a stem and go tubeless.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
    Ok so I got a new Mich front tire for my 1979 gs850 and tube.. Goes flat 25 miles into first ride. Mechanic says he wants to put in a stem and go tubeless.

Thoughts?
    He probably pinched the tube and now has a cut/hole. Did he re-use old tube? Check if tube held pressure first before inserting?

I went tubeless on a few sets of new tubeless tires on older 78-80 GS rims not marked tubeless. No problems but I clean my rims and bead area well before mounting. I do my own tires, btw. Tubeless stem has to be put in carefully since the hole may not be tapered the same. I would make him keep it overnight to check for any tire pressure loss. Flat front tire is harder to control and if you run at speed while flat enough times you could damage the sidewall not to mention you and the bike.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for insight . Will have him keep it a couple days. As to trailer it again I don't want to do.

Comment

No need to go tubeless, I've got upteen thousands of miles on tube/tire combo

If there's not a nail in it, take it to someone competent and give your "mechanic" the bill

He most likely screwed it up. And you'd take it back to him?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
        X