Rear sprocket: which side faces out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear sprocket: which side faces out?

So my new sprocket finally arrived. I like Cycle-Recylce, but damn, they take forever get their stuff out.

Anyways, one side of the sprocket is flat:

While the other side is recessed:

So which side faces out, and which side faces in?

Also, not a question but the whole cush drive unit fell out when I was rolling the tire and scared the hell out me. At first I thought I broke the damn wheel, but then read in the manual that the unit is normally supposed to come out like that. So phew.

Also got my rear MC rebuild kit and put it to good use. I used a small dash of brake fluid to lube the thick rubber cup-shaped washer piece and everything has a pretty smooth action. So yay.
    Tommy
    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2012, 12:11 PM.

Bump

Any ideas?

Comment

not sure about the sprocket, but it could make a difference on how it lines up with the front sprocket, one way it will be inline the other way it could pull it in, push it out or be spot on

if you have your old one, compare the 2 and see, lay the wheel flat on the ground and measure to the top of the sprocket with the old one, then do the same with the new and see which way matches.

as for the cush drive falling out yest that is normal, just make sure if you have any spacers to put them back in if they fell out, if not spacers perhaps guides, etc...

Comment

usually the flat side is facing out.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          usually the flat side is facing out.
          I agree. If you look at any other bike, the flat side is always showing. The other side, which provides the required offset, is less appealing to the eye.

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen. As always your help is appreciated.

Tommy

Comment

Working...
            X