Messed up while resizing the chain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messed up while resizing the chain...

It seems I can't do anything right this month. I f*cked up the the chain resizing this morning. I bought a Factory Spec o-ring chain that was 112 links. Since the GS takes 110 I had to take a couple out.

Long story short, I broke the chain tool and am now 2 links too short, 108 (the links are destroyed). With the master link I'll get 109 links, but I can only connect one end of the chain to the master.

Any idea where I can get some spare 530 o-ring links?

Tommy

I recently had a chain installed by a local shop. Z-1 had sent me the wrong size front sprocket so a few links had to be added. The mechanic merely walked over to a storage box reached in and matched the chain to one of the extra pieces he had from installing new chains. So I guess this would be the case at other shops as well. Worth a try anyway.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

You will need a second master link and an inner link. Connect each master link to the inner link and you will be there.
      Not knowing what you have as remnants, is an inner link salvageable?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        You will need a second master link and an inner link. Connect each master link to the inner link and you will be there.
        Not knowing what you have as remnants, is an inner link salvageable?
        Yes, I have an inner link still intact. I wasn't sure if I could use two master links hooked up to the same chain, but I am more than happy to try. Thanks, man.

Tommy

Comment

Your average chain tool will break on a 630 chain..Even some 530 chains. Usually it is best to fit the chain before cutting

Comment

Originally posted by tbrand69 View Post
            Yes, I have an inner link still intact. I wasn't sure if I could use two master links hooked up to the same chain, but I am more than happy to try. Thanks, man.

Tommy
            Certainly. Be sure that the closed end of the keeper is in the direction of rotation or it will come off. Better still, safety wire that puppy on.

Comment

Working...
            X