82 GS1100E Fork Damping Adjustment Knobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100E Fork Damping Adjustment Knobs

I have not been able to find a replacement set of front fork damping adjustment knobs. My 82 GS1100E didn't come with any, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the D shape shaft aligns with the knob numbers? Thanks in advance!

I was wondering the same thing, when I put m y 1100E forks back together, there were no instructions saying how they lined up. So I just figured the #1 on the dial was set to the smallest hole on the internal damping rod and went from there, Guess I'll find out when I get it on the road.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Positionn 1 would be softest,needing more fluid to flow faster, i would think the larger hole is #1.#4 is the stiffest dampening,more limited flow=smaller hole.Just my guess at it with a few years mechanical background.

Comment

Had the same problem. Eric took some pics for me. Think you can work it out from here. The last 2 pics have the Left adjuster on the right leg (because I am only missing one..)

1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Pics.

Thanks for the pics! That was what I needed!

Comment

Originally posted by 5150/gs View Post
            Positionn 1 would be softest,needing more fluid to flow faster, i would think the larger hole is #1.#4 is the stiffest dampening,more limited flow=smaller hole.Just my guess at it with a few years mechanical background.
            That would make tons of sense. Guess I got mine just bassakwards then.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I am lucky to have both caps on mine, probably because the bike was in storage for 25 yrs or so.
              How hard are they to take apart? Theres nothing in the manual. When I rebuilt my forks, I just left them alone. One side doesnt "click" into place and I might want to fix that. Some kind of ball and spring I think and might be a pain to get put back together.

Comment

Try taking the caps off & cleaning out all the accumulated cr*p behind them.. that was the main reason one of mine didn't "click".

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                X