Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Rusty piston cavity in front break calliper

Hi folks

My pistons are rusty so I'm replacing them.

But what about the cavity in which the piston sits? It's rusty too. How can this be treated? I've seen the overhaul guides on BikeCliff's site and they say if dirty or corroded then clean, but how?

Sandpaper and elbow grease?
    Which sandpaper? More than one?
    At which point can I stop sanding? Only once it's perfectly smooth, or is a little roughness ok? Define 'a little roughness' :-|

And how can I tell in advance if they are perhaps too far gone to salvage?

As always, many thanks to all for your responses
    Assaf

The corrosion in your caliper should come off with Scotchbrite pad - don't use anying rougher.

Stainless pistons on the rebuild? Problems sorted for ever then.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Pits and gouges in the bore are fine, as long as there is no material raised about the surface to interfere with motion. There has to be enough of a clean bore to hold the piston too, around 80% cleanup or more. But if it's that bad, odds are the seal groove is also bad. The deepest part of the seal groove has to be smooth, and without pits forming a path for fluid to move through. Everything else is merely mechanical support for the piston.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The caliper body is made of aluminum. It can't rust, so any rust you see is just left over from the rusted piston.

As noted above, clean it up with a Scotchbrite pad. Clean it up thoroughly afterwards to make sure all the abrasive particles are out.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Replace the seals too and be 100% as sure as you can that the groove they set in is as clean as you can get it. Little wipe of fluid on the seals and pistons as you reassemble them.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

OK
            Thanks

Comment

Hi
              I'm having trouble locating a US supplier for Stainless Steel pistons.
              Any suggestions?
              thanks
              Assaf

Comment

I don't know of any in the US but you could try Wemoto in the UK

Suzuki motorcycles and scooters are going from strength to strength. If you own one then look no further than Wemoto to get all your motorcycle parts online.

or Nick Chambers on Ebay (he sells various sizes)

If you buy stainless you don't need the boots (though you do have to clean brake dust off them when you fit new pads).
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                X