Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake line and vendor question

Vendors first...

Who would be the best shot of ordering an L model clutch cable, an L model brake cable, and a 23" (including banjos) brake line? Z1 only has Motion Pro and that poses two problems: 1) Most reviews of Motion Pro cables are not favorable, and 2) they don't come prelubed and Z1 is out of stock on cable lube. For the sake of speed I'd like to just place one order and get all three. Anyone else besides Bike Bandit? I put a set of bars on my 1100E and the stock cables and line are too short.

The other thing is selecting brake cables themselves. I'm just replacing the one line at this point and I'm not entirely certain what I need. Would any two banjos work, and do I need any special tools or washers to put them together?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by Sojourner View Post
    Vendors first...

Who would be the best shot of ordering an L model clutch cable, an L model brake cable, and a 23" (including banjos) brake line? Z1 only has Motion Pro and that poses two problems: 1) Most reviews of Motion Pro cables are not favorable, and 2) they don't come prelubed and Z1 is out of stock on cable lube. For the sake of speed I'd like to just place one order and get all three. Anyone else besides Bike Bandit? I put a set of bars on my 1100E and the stock cables and line are too short.

The other thing is selecting brake cables themselves. I'm just replacing the one line at this point and I'm not entirely certain what I need. Would any two banjos work, and do I need any special tools or washers to put them together?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Go to your local Suzie dealer and get a OEM cable. You'll thank yourself for it. Z1 for your brake lines. They offer a wide selection and lengths for your bike. Though when you get the new banjos take into consideration that they will add 2 inches to your brake line so be careful with your measurements (for example: your current brake line measures 24 inches from banjo to banjo, your new line should be 22 inches and the new banjos will give you the other 2 inches).

You'll need new banjos (the banjos are available with different angles so get the right ones as well) and the copper crush washers. They also have new banjo bolts in case you need those as well. No special tools needed. Any questions just call Z1 they will be more then glad to help you out.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 09-24-2012, 11:51 AM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks. I ended up going with the "roll your own" Earl's steel brake lines from AN Plumbing.

Considering my bars are techincally for the XS1100 Special, or in the style thereof, I figured 2' of cable would give me the play I needed to get the right semi-custom length. I also went with an adjustable/swivel angled banjo for the MC end and a non-swivel straight banjo for where it attaches to the split. Also, I just ordered OEM L cables from Power Sports Plus. Seemed to be cheaper than the local shop.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sojourner View Post
        Thanks. I ended up going with the "roll your own" Earl's steel brake lines from AN Plumbing.

Considering my bars are techincally for the XS1100 Special, or in the style thereof, I figured 2' of cable would give me the play I needed to get the right semi-custom length. I also went with an adjustable/swivel angled banjo for the MC end and a non-swivel straight banjo for where it attaches to the split. Also, I just ordered OEM L cables from Power Sports Plus. Seemed to be cheaper than the local shop.
        Two excellent choices.

Just checked out Power Sports Plus and their prices are a little higher than BoulevardSuzuki.com. Not a huge big difference, but something to consider if you place a big order.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the Boulevard link. I knew there was another one Steve had mentioned when he was down to help me wrench, but couldn't recall it.

Comment

Working...
          X