No announcement yet.

Progressive Springs, Band-aids, & Kleenex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other aspect of ride & handling are the tires. Modern tires are so much better than what was available 30yrs ago. Conti Go's, BS Spitfires &B45's, etc. are light years ahead of what was originally put on these bikes, no one should be riding on old junk.

Comment

Found this thread in a search. What are everyone's thoughts on Ron Ayers progressive fork springs? Looks like around $70 for a set. http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetai...71/SKU/1518031

Comment

Those are not Ron Ayer's, he is selling the springs from Progressive Suspension. So they are the real deal and one of the top choices for GS riders.

Comment

Bass Man, a couple other things to consider about your OEM springs:

They have been sitting in the fork tubes under compression for 31 years. They have probably lost some of their "spring" in the process. AND, they were designed to be used with a modest amount of (additional) air in the forks, to add to the overall spring rate. Many of us have gone to Progressive or Sonic springs to upgrade the front suspension. The overall rate is a bit higher than stock, but isn't much more than the sum of the steel springs and the air. The advantage of that is that you don't have to rely on additional air to have the proper rate, but still have the air that is trapped in there to add a bit more bottoming resistance.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            Those are not Ron Ayer's, he is selling the springs from Progressive Suspension. So they are the real deal and one of the top choices for GS riders.

Thanks for the info!!

So say I'm a 240 pound guy, and I will be doing mostly commuting duty, but on windy back roads. What should I be looking at as far as spring rates front and rear? I would like to go with progressives fore and aft, but I definitely want to tighten up the handling first and foremost.

Comment

Sorry, not my area of expertise. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

Comment

Hmmm, from reading this thread got me to thinking. Since I did a fork swap, 750 to 1100E front end, I'm thinking the stock springs in the bigger forks are going to be much better then my 750 forks right?
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I found that talking directly to progressive will help you answer that question better
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Take a look at Sonic Springs while you're at it. They make straight rate springs as opposed to progressives, which I like, plus you can tailor the rate to your riding style and weight. My bike handles so much better with the sonics and hagons I put on there and the ride is comfy as well.

Comment

bwringer has mentioned that he likes the Sonics better as well. Of course, he rides a bit more, umm, aggressively, than the normal human being.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                        Take a look at Sonic Springs while you're at it. They make straight rate springs as opposed to progressives, which I like, plus you can tailor the rate to your riding style and weight. My bike handles so much better with the sonics and hagons I put on there and the ride is comfy as well.
                        And, if you want to contact Sonic Springs, just look up user RichDesmond on this forum, I think it's his company.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks for all the input, folks.
                          Having been into modding cars for a long time, I'm leaning towards progressive springs. I've never liked how rough specific rate springs ride, and you really don't sacrifice much in the way of handling with a quality progressive spring. For the riding I will be doing, progressives just make more sense I think. I want to tighten it up, but not make it too stiff. I'm 35 now with a sketchy back and screwy hips, so I don't want to beat myself up too much.

Comment

The fork springs do sag with time. You can add spacers to stiffen it up some..
                            Take the old spacer out and add about an inch or so- use schedule 40 PVC pipe.
                            You want it even with or sticking out 1/2" with the forks fully extended- no weight

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
                              Having been into modding cars for a long time, I'm leaning towards progressive springs. I've never liked how rough specific rate springs ride, and you really don't sacrifice much in the way of handling with a quality progressive spring. For the riding I will be doing, progressives just make more sense I think. I want to tighten it up, but not make it too stiff. I'm 35 now with a sketchy back and screwy hips, so I don't want to beat myself up too much.
                              I'm not a car guy, so I can't speak to your experience there, but on bikes it's not true that straight rate springs are necessarily rougher riding than progressively wound springs. They certainly can be, if a rate that's too stiff is chosen, but if the rate is matched to the rider (both weight and riding style) they will be more comfortable than progressively wound springs are. More here:

It is true though that any aftermarket spring will be a huge improvement over stock.
                              Last edited by RichDesmond; 10-25-2012, 06:31 PM.
                              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
                                Having been into modding cars for a long time, I'm leaning towards progressive springs. I've never liked how rough specific rate springs ride, and you really don't sacrifice much in the way of handling with a quality progressive spring.
                                Just so you know, there are actually TWO springs in each fork leg.

OK, some bikes have more, but in general, there is the metal spring and AIR. Regardless of whether your metal springs are progressively wound, the air will ALWAYS be progressive. When you add the progressive rate of the metal springs and the progressive rate of air, it is possible to get some rather interesting results.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X