Progressive Springs, Band-aids, & Kleenex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post

It is true though that any aftermarket spring will be a huge improvement over stock.

It's damn sure gotta be better than bottoming out on everything like it does now, lol.

Thanks for the info!!

Comment

Soooooo, changed my fork oil today. Put 20W in it, and I gotta say, it feels great. I'll still upgrade the springs eventually, but this should work for the time being.
      I also set the rear shocks on the stiffest setting, and that helped a good bit too.

Comment

Just remember that thicker fork oil will not prevent bottoming. It only slows down the response.

You will eventually bottom out, it will just take longer to get there.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Just remember that thicker fork oil will not prevent bottoming. It only slows down the response.

You will eventually bottom out, it will just take longer to get there.

Well, I figured that may happen, so I tried to intentionally make it bottom out, unsuccessfully. I found that it must not have been fully bottoming out before, because when I compressed the forks to squeeze the old fluid out, the lower fork bracket just kissed my fender, chipping the paint.
          The front end was lowered before I bought it, and the front fender sits a little higher than the stock one did.
          So I'm guessing the springs are not totally dead, but they will still be getting upgraded.

Comment

Working...
          X