New shocks- GS650 stock travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New shocks- GS650 stock travel?

I'm leaning towards installing a new pair of Works Performance Steel Trackers on the 650G and I have been messaging with one of their techs.

The numbers he is coming up with are different than I expected.

Length: 12.6 inches
    Shock travel: 2.3 inches

I believe the stock length on the 650G (US Version) was 330mm.

That shock travel just seems really low to me.

Can anyone give me definitive values, provide insight into previous installs on their 650G, or give me feedback to what I might expect out of this setup compared to stock?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Hi,

You are correct. The stock shock length is 330-335mm, right at 13 inches. I'm not an expert but you can probably go down to about 12.75 inches without noticing much difference. Going shorter than that will probably slow down the steering enough to notice. You also have to start worrying about ground clearance if you go down an inch or more.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Mine are closer to 13.5 inches, or approximately 340 mm. I am leaning toward the Hagons, but home repairs killed my entertainment budget.

Jim
      1981 GS550T (Long gone)
      1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

My "L" has got 13 "- don't know brand but they consist of 2 springs- lower 2" long one is softer; still work well. In this same forum down a few posts, musicman seemed happy with a pair of 13" sportster shocks- harley riders always seem to be upgrading in pursuit of something, so probably can be had new and cheap.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X