1100e fork help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100e fork help

Of all the things I have done on my bikes, forks is not one of them yet.
    I have new fork seals and want to put them in. I have read numerous fork theads/tutorials but am just brain dead right now....not getting it, I am a learn by sight kinda guy and the process has me hesitant. I guess all the tutorials show either a full disassembly or show a fork slightly different than mine and I am just not sure. I have leading axle forks with the adjuster on the bottom.
    I just dont have it in me to completely disassemble the forks, so I just want to do the seals and fluid change.
    1 remove the top cap, spacer , washer and spring?
    2 turn over and pump to get oil out?
    3 pull seal, insert new seal?
    4 fill fork with proper amount of oil and put back in the spring, washer , spacer and tighten cap?

If you can check my steps and fill in the oversights or correct me, I would appreciate it. Or give me a step by step rundown.
    I would also like to know how to flush out the fork while its opened up to clean it out .
    any help would be appreciated.

Just one question, have the slider bushings in the fork ever been changed? If not, this would be a good time to install some new ones. You have one under the seal and on at the bottom of the tube. Just changing these out can help stiffen your fork action from any lateral motion. Then again if everything is original in the forks, it would be a good time to freshen it up with new o-rings, and bushings.

Just a hint here, if you do the top bushings, go to a 82 1100E it will still show a part number where the 80-81 1100E won't.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Fork Seals

Look into the Leak Proof seals with "moly" they install easy after removing the old seals and no leaks on mine since. A service manual will show you how to R and R the forks and disassemble them, gives a chance to clean everything the the seals are easy. Not too hard just check up on the procedures first.
      1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by mustangflyr View Post
        Look into the Leak Proof seals with "moly" they install easy after removing the old seals and no leaks on mine since. A service manual will show you how to R and R the forks and disassemble them, gives a chance to clean everything the the seals are easy. Not too hard just check up on the procedures first.
        Every time I've tried to use the Leak Proof Moly seal, I have ended up replacing them every time. I use good ole standard seals now and no troubles anymore.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I aleady have some seals, just regular old whatever seals...some brand, I forget. Not leak proof brand, I know that.
          Anywho, despite your help/info, I am just not going to be tearing these all the way down right not.
          I drained them, and flushed them with ATF....gonna drip dry them and refill. Job done.
          I have been quite meticulous with carbs and valves and some electrical work to ensure this 1100E is prety tip top, but with my injury and the rest of life, I am just beat. The forks felt good before, the sludge that came out was pretty bad so for now I am just going for the fluid to freshen them up and ensure they had the proper amount as they have unknown history.
          Its a start. Thx.

Comment

Working...
          X