OK, here's one for ya to ponder....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, here's one for ya to ponder.

I had similar problem when I first picked up Roadkill. Turned out tube was full of one of those liquid puncture sealers that had perhaps solidified after sitting in same position. New tube solved that problem. For what it's worth.

CH

Comment

Originally posted by slyone View Post
      no doubt po got ripped...what else is new! I haven't read invoice mtself but new seals, boots, upper tree clamp bolts and some kinda "bushings" but no springs.
      Checked front end and tire/wheel runout which seems great. Guess I'll let that one go for now since it is sooo slight. heck, I bet most wouldn't even notice it...
      Well good deal for you. Nice to know the seals are new and won't be leaking. Not sure why they would have had to replace those triple tree bolts but what ever, and the "bushings" they're referring to are probably your steering head bearings. (if you're lucky). Would be nice if those were done. Just so you know these old bikes do have some innate movements in them that are just "GS stuff". If it doesn't feel life threatening ride it.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

OK, here's one for ya to ponder....

I reread your post & see you have a GS850 as I do. Can't imagine a better tire than the Bridgestone S11 Spitfire. I just put the 2nd front one on mine & 3rd rear. Got 18.5K on the front but it should have been done sooner. Rears I usually get 12k & more. I do not ride hard so cannot speak for some of the sportier tires but I think from personal experience this is a perfect tire for a shafty like the 850. Got the recommend from postings on this site. Glad I listened.
        Also you may have thrown a balance weight on the front tire. That will get it bouncing around like you described.
        DH

Comment

Spitfires should be called Slipfires.

Not a lot of traction, although they are better than the 1980s tires these bikes came with.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Spitfires should be called Slipfires.

Not a lot of traction, although they are better than the 1980s tires these bikes came with.
            tkent02 What bike did you have these on? What is your riding style? Realize I ride like a geezer. Nonetheless even when I stuffed my overloaded GS850G into a turn going too fast etc I might have scared meself but the bike never did anything but grip & act reliably. That was when the tires were really worn past good sense. So not questioning your opinion on these but curious why we see them so different.
            I sold many sets when I worked at a shop but only recommended them to heavier bikes of the 70s thru 90s which I believe is how the sales pitch described them.
            Anyway just wondering how we end up so far apart on opinion.
            Lemme know please.
            Thanks
            DH

Comment

The Slipfires were fine until I tried RoadRiders, Sport Demons or any modern tire.
              They are serioulsly outclassed. Had them on a few bikes, now only the 1100G.

It's fun to spin the wheel on a paint stripe, or anything wet, but the front wheel gets loose too, I don't like that as much.
              I guess they'd be OK if you stayed off the stripes, didn't ride in rain and went slow always.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

front is 402 and rear is 395.
                Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                Looks like the newest it could be would be the 40 week of 2012 for the front, but more likely the 40 week of 2002.
                And for the rear, the newest it could be would be the 39th week of 2005.
                No, could NOT have been made since 2000, as it would have four digits in the date code. If it were made in the 40th week of 2012, it would show "4012", not "402". 39th week of 2005 would be "3905", not "395". Three digits in the date code tell you that it's 1999 or older. I have been told that tires made during the '90s had a triangle after the number, which I did not see in the picture, so that tire was probably made in 1982.

Those tires were unsafe a decade ago. They were made in 1992 and 1995.
                See comment above about the triangle. Not sure that all tires had the triangle in the '90s, also not sure if it started early in the '90s or later.

Oh great, so now I should get new tires too! I don't see any cracking or dry rot...
                It's not just "cracking or dry rot" that makes them unsafe.

Originally posted by azr View Post
                About your tires, there may be no cracks but from the date numbers you put up the front tire was made in the 40 week of the year 1972, 1982 or 1992. The rear tire was made in the 39 week of the year 1975, 1985 or 1995. That makes, at best, those tires are over 17 years old...YIKES.
                Since the bike is a '79, I would not suspect the tires were made in '72 or '75.

It is because of this ambiguity of production year that they switched to four-digit date codes starting with the 2000 production.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The Slipfires were fine until I tried RoadRiders, Sport Demons or any modern tire.
                  They are serioulsly outclassed.
                  Agreed. Love the Avon Roadriders, and the Pirelli Sport Demons are the ultimate in soft and sticky.

The Shinko 230 is an excellent cheap tire if you need to save a few bucks. Doesn't last as long as some, but sticks great. The Shinko 712 is similar.

Other modern tires for vintage bikes that I haven't personally tried, but that have good feedback include:
                  Bridgestone BT-45 (yep, they make a much better tire than their own Spitfire)
                  Michelin Pilot Activ
                  Continental Go (very new -- not sure what the consensus is, but Conti usually makes good stuff)
                  Dunlop Elite 3 (limited to 16" rears, but very, very good grip and excellent treadwear)

There are still some older design tires available that some people still like for some reason, such as the Avon Roadrunner, Conti Milestone, Dunlop 501, the Bridgestone Spitfire mentioned earlier, Metzeler ME77/88/880/Lasertec, and others.

Duro, Kenda, and IRC make some lower-end rubber -- there are some rare oddball sizes out there you can only get from IRC, and they're OK.

That lumpy Dunlop on your bike has been out of production for aeons, but there may still be some around somewhere sold as rim covers for 100 point concourse bikes that are never actually ridden.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

They are serioulsly outclassed.
                    Agreed.

The Shinko 230 is an excellent cheap tire if you need to save a few bucks. Doesn't last as long as some, but sticks great. The Shinko 712 is similar.

Other modern tires for vintage bikes that I haven't personally tried, but that have good feedback include:
                    Michelin Pilot Activ
                    Continental Go (very new -- not sure what the consensus is, but Conti usually makes good stuff)
                    Dunlop Elite 3 (limited to 16" rears, but very, very good grip and excellent treadwear)

There are still some older design tires available that some people still like for some reason, such as the Avon Roadrunner, Conti Milestone, Dunlop 501, the Bridgestone Spitfire mentioned earlier, Metzeler ME77/88/880/Lasertec, and others.

Duro, Kenda, and IRC make some lower-end rubber -- there are some rare oddball sizes out there you can only get from IRC, and they're OK. Cheng Shin made decent tires, but they haven't made any road tires in a few years.

That lumpy Dunlop on your bike has been out of production for aeons, but there may still be some around somewhere sold as rim covers for 100 point concourse bikes that are never actually ridden.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for all the great info.! I'll have to get some new tires when I bring it out for spring..

Comment

Ok, after reading all this you need new tires. I use the Shinko's and like them very much. Use whatever you feel comfortable with.

I have the same problem you do with my 1100G. I have brand spanking new tires that are professionally balanced, new fork seals and new "real" fork oil. It still does the same thing. I am running about 13 psi in the forks. I believe that the problem lies in the springs. I used Sonic Springs on my 550 and what a huge difference that made.

I am going to dust off my wallet and drop the $90.00 to cover that cost and go on down the road. Your bike is essentially the same weight as mine and I know my springs are tired. I also feel the air system isn't the greatest.

Food for thought from someone that has been/is in the same place as you.
                        GS Score Card
                        4-400 Series GS's
                        3-500 Series
                        1-600 Series
                        1-700 Series
                        4-800 Series
                        1-1000 Series
                        2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Agreed.

Michelin Pilot Activ

Yea I personally like the style of the Metzeler lasertech biased touring tire myself....
                          Ya know what, after all considerations...maybe the Shinko TourMaster is the way to go!
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2012, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X