Dot 5 Conversion Write Up Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dot 5 Conversion Write Up Request

why don't one of you project minded higher up members do a write up on a dot 5 silicone brake fluid conversion.
    seeing how the systems get tore down and rebuilt anyways...why put the nasty dot 3/4 back into to your rebuilt system?
    once this is done the brake fluid become's a non issue and there will never be any more corrosion/rust/paint damage/sticking calipers EVER.
    and before anybody that hasn't done this conversion says...this and that from reading articles or comparing chemical compounds of each brake fluid ect...just do the damn conversion and report back.
    just thinking out loud

That project minded higher up member is you.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      That project minded higher up member is you.
      i could give advice but with my lack of typing skills and all around bad attitude.....
      there are better suited members possibly from a warmer climate that should really take this challenge on
      their GS will love them for it.

Comment

I ran DOT 5 in my 78 for about 18 years when I put a steel braided line on it.

Cleaned everything in the caliper and MC, hooked up the brake line, filled it with DOT 5, bled ir and ran it for years

Everyone said it couldn't be done

I switched back to DOT 3 when I did the Salty Monk brake upgrade, I was too lazy to clean everything and new caliper seals are about $80
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I ran DOT 5 is a Commando for years. I like it for not damaging paint. I'm not so certain that it eliminates corrosion. It doesn't absorb water. Does that mean that no water can get into the system? I think that it just means that the water isn't absorbed. The water remains separated if it gets into the system.

Last edited by 850 Combat; 10-29-2012, 04:16 PM.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

poor joe,
            i am using his name a lot concerning the dot 5.
            his honda was done as far as i recall over 10 years ago...maybe 12 years ago.
            the only thing i noticed is the fluid looses its purple color.
            dot 5 does done draw moisture so no moisture should get into the system to cause corrosion.
            example...
            1983 1100F with under 5k miles.
            from new until mid 90's-2000 after sitting a couple months to all winter would not roll...would have to beat the calipers with a plastic hammer to shake the pistons back in the bore.
            same honda i converted to dot 5 rolled fine and the brakes worked great from 2000 till present time...5k ish miles now.
            maybe joe can confirm or add his thoughts on the dot 5 in his honda.

just wanted to add that these are not road race bikes and i doubt that the fluid temps get high enough to draw moisture from the heat....just my thoughts.
            Last edited by blowerbike; 10-29-2012, 05:12 PM. Reason: added

Comment

I have done this conversion on a small classic car in England. Some thoughts:

1. It's expensive.
              2. It's nice it doesn't affect paint etc.
              3. You need to renew every seal in the system & at least flush the lines before you convert (otherwise you risk the seals swelling & jamming brakes on).
              4. It's a PIG to bleed.
              5. It gives a spongey feel at the pedal, on a car (No servo - this thing was 1967 & drums) it was pretty noticeable. I suspect it is more noticeable on a bike.

So... I guess I was half qualified to comment!

I have also read that any moisture in the system can "bubble" rather than being dispersed through the fluid - not sure what my thoughts are on that! Having done it once would I take the trouble to do it again... nope! Just flush the system every couple of years - job done.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                Just flush the system every couple of years - job done.
                Yep.

I don't see the point. There are several risks involved for no real reward.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i didn't notice any difference in bleeding.
                  as i have stated...no spongy feeling(remember corvette's either use or are converted to dot 5)...i forget which.
                  some bikes come factory with dot 5.
                  the fluid is about 4 times as expensive but well worth it IMO.(small bottle of belray is 10-15 bucks).
                  if a person is rebuilding their brake system then why not convert to dot 5 and never worry again?
                  pluses seem to out weigh minuses.

Comment

gasoline doesn't absorb water. That is why fuel tanks don't ever rust.

I didn't have any trouble using DOT 5 in Lockheed brakes. I flushed, and didn't replace the seals in the caliper. I did have to rebuild the master not long after switching, a couple times. I have read that The purple stuff is easier on the seals than the old clear DOT 5 that I used in the 80's.

It bled as easily as DOT 4 for me.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

i can't not respond..lol
                      water in gas comes from the place you purchase it.

as far as changing brake fluid every couple years...a very small percentage of people ever do it.
                      that's why the systems are such a mess.
                      dot 5 will live for many years and not cause PAINT damage or CORROSION.
                      kinda like lead acid vented battery's and why people go with a gel or dry cell.
                      no more acid/acid fume damage or corrosion.
                      if a person has not at least tried this conversion on a bike...well you get my point.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        dot 5 will live for many years and not cause PAINT damage or CORROSION.
                        kinda like lead acid vented battery's and why people go with a gel or dry cell.
                        no more acid/acid fume damage or corrosion.
                        Except the brake fluid stays in the system, where the battery acid gets all over the frame.

A few minutes and a few bucks to change fluid every few years is no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                          poor joe,
                          i am using his name a lot concerning the dot 5.
                          his honda was done as far as i recall over 10 years ago...maybe 12 years ago.
                          the only thing i noticed is the fluid looses its purple color.
                          dot 5 does done draw moisture so no moisture should get into the system to cause corrosion.
                          example...
                          1983 1100F with under 5k miles.
                          from new until mid 90's-2000 after sitting a couple months to all winter would not roll...would have to beat the calipers with a plastic hammer to shake the pistons back in the bore.
                          same honda i converted to dot 5 rolled fine and the brakes worked great from 2000 till present time...5k ish miles now.
                          maybe joe can confirm or add his thoughts on the dot 5 in his honda.

just wanted to add that these are not road race bikes and i doubt that the fluid temps get high enough to draw moisture from the heat....just my thoughts.

Joe here on confirmation of dot 5 in a Honda 1100f...

I have yet to have any issues with the dot 5, actually I am going to convert my 700 when I purchase some new braided lines in the spring. The fact that it does not peel paint tells me it has to be easier on seals and parts. If you are going to upgrade your lines it seems like the logical choice.

Comment

OMFG
                            put the tar and feather away ladies...i live another day to do dot 5 fluid conversion's.
                            so who is going to do a write up for this place?
                            thanks for saving my arse joe!

Comment

You are.

Comment

Working...
                              X