should I use radial tires or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I use radial tires or not?

79' 850gs I assume the "R" in Shinko SR733F cruiser tire means radial and the no "R" means not a radial but bias tire?
    Are the V rated a harder/firmer tire/compound than the H rated tires?

How about providing a link to the specific tires, size included, you are considering? My understanding is radial tires require wide rims, something the GS bikes don't have.

Edit: I don't think those Shinko's are radial.
    Last edited by Nessism; 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

An 850 is way too slow to need V rated tires, sustained 149mph plus at full load? Right. Even the sustained 129+ for H rated isn't going to happen.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No, the "R" does not mean radial. It's just part of the model name -- probably doesn't actually mean anything.

The proper tires for these bikes are all bias-ply. There are some EXCELLENT choices in modern rubber nowadays.

The speed rating is pretty irrelevant (top speed of an 850 is around 115mph), but all else being equal, a V-rated motorcycle tire is actually usually softer than an H rated tire. There are some V-Strom tires that are available in different speed ratings, and the H rated tires usually use a harder compound and a thicker tread. The V-rated tires are built so that they build up and retain less heat, so they're usually made a bit thinner and softer. They don't last as long, but they may feel a little more livelier.

In regards to your 850, it's not worth considering the speed rating, since the same tire isn't available in different speed ratings.

I use and highly recommend the Avon Roadriders (130/90-17 rear, 100/90-19 front). They're a very modern, V-rated design and will transform your bike.

If you're cheap and don't ride a bazillion miles, the Shinko 230 TourMaster is another excellent tire. Doesn't last as long as the Avons, but a lot cheaper. The Shinko 712 is another good inexpensive choice and is now available in the proper 130/90-17 rear. Haven't tried this one personally, though.

The SR733 is not available in a rear size that will work with your bike, so I'm not sure why you'd want to put one on the front.
        Last edited by bwringer; 10-29-2012, 08:10 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          No, the "R" does not mean radial. It's just part of the model name -- probably doesn't actually mean anything.

The proper tires for these bikes are all bias-ply. There are some EXCELLENT choices in modern rubber nowadays.

The speed rating is pretty irrelevant (top speed of an 850 is around 115mph), but all else being equal, a V-rated motorcycle tire is actually usually softer than an H rated tire. There are some V-Strom tires that are available in different speed ratings, and the H rated tires usually use a harder compound and a thicker tread. The V-rated tires are built so that they build up and retain less heat, so they're usually made a bit thinner and softer. They don't last as long, but they may feel a little more livelier.

In regards to your 850, it's not worth considering the speed rating, since the same tire isn't available in different speed ratings.

I use and highly recommend the Avon Roadriders (130/90-17 rear, 100/90-19 front). They're a very modern, V-rated design and will transform your bike.

If you're cheap and don't ride a bazillion miles, the Shinko 230 TourMaster is another excellent tire. Doesn't last as long as the Avons, but a lot cheaper. The Shinko 712 is another good inexpensive choice and is now available in the proper 130/90-17 rear. Haven't tried this one personally, though.

The SR733 is not available in a rear size that will work with your bike, so I'm not sure why you'd want to put one on the front.
          Good info..Thanks! Yea the Shinko SR734 is the rear match for the front SR733 I believe. I like the tread design/look of those but they do have a "harder look" about them from the Tourmaster?

Comment

Tourmasters look like a modern computerized tread design. The 734 looks like a tire from the eighties. They perform the same way.

But they are only too slippery if you fall off.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Avon Roadriders and Dunlop GT501's resemble sportbike Radials if that is your goal...

Comment

Originally posted by slyone View Post
                Good info..Thanks! Yea the Shinko SR734 is the rear match for the front SR733 I believe. I like the tread design/look of those but they do have a "harder look" about them from the Tourmaster?
                Again, the SR734 rear is not available in the right size for your bike. Not even close.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X