easy front end swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

easy front end swap?

Over the summer I bought a pair of 83' gs450ga bikes. After doing a lot of work I finally got one of them to run. Only problem is that the front end is messed up (tube is bent and leaks, tire is shot, and speedo gear not working) The other bike has a near perfect front end on it. I was wondering if the was an easy way to swap the front forks, (tire, handle bar, and all) all at once with out replacing each part one by one. Is there any way to take it loose at the neck of one bike and bolt it on the other bike. If any one has some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Unless you can have the front wheel/front end of the bike hanging over something you need to remove the front wheel and then the forks.

If the triple trees are both good then I'd leave them alone..

first remove the caliper from the the lower fork leg..

Also remove the speedo cable from the front hub.

Then simply loosen the fork pinch bolts on both fork tubes . upper and lower pinch bolts..

all this done with bike on center stand and jack and board underneath the motor..jack it up till the rear wheel touches the ground.

remove the axle bolt and the front wheel and the fork tubes will ( should P) slide right out of the trees..

i may have missed something but it will become obvious.. you mentioned handlebars but I'd do them separate..
    Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2012, 05:21 PM.

Comment

It is also possible to remove the upper triple clamp and slide the entire assembly down, but it is very awkward doing that.
      It is MUCH easier (and probably quicker) to do it piece by piece.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        It is also possible to remove the upper triple clamp and slide the entire assembly down, but it is very awkward doing that.
        It is MUCH easier (and probably quicker) to do it piece by piece.

I was going to suggest that and then remembered the 'ball bearings' and thought ..ummm... no maybe not this time! Not for a novice or meek at heart hahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
          I was going to suggest that and then remembered the 'ball bearings' and thought ..ummm... no maybe not this time! Not for a novice or meek at heart hahaha!
          Sorry, did not consider that.

The only bikes I have had apart, had tapered rollers in the steering stem, so no problem there.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Sorry, did not consider that.

The only bikes I have had apart, had tapered rollers in the steering stem, so no problem there.

No matter how careful I am... I always come up three short..

Comment

Working...
            X