X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel bearing install - bearings don't roll

im at a loss
    i bought bearings from z1... AB25-1147 for a 1978 GS750C
    i followed the suzuki_don pdf on bikecliff's site and pulled the front wheel bearings no problem (harbor freight blind bearing puller)... i was pretty stoked... i didnt see seals, so i didnt install the seals that came with the new bearings
    i froze the bearings overnight and pressed them back in using the methods in the pdf - half inch bolt pulling a simpson strong tie 2" square plate on one side and some washers to fit on the other... i thought i was done but there was play in the spacer so, following the pdf, i tightened it a little more. then i reinstalled the wheel... and it wouldnt roll.
    i took the wheel off and put my finger in the inner race and they dont spin like they did before i pressed them in...
    ive included pictures of the lame bearings in, just in case something looks funny to you guys. is it possible to tighten too much and squeeze the spacer? there is a lip on the disk side, which unfortunately i dont remember noticing before i pulled the old ones... i am confident i got the non-disk side correct... and the spacer doesnt have any play.. so i thought i was good...

any ideas?

There should be a little play in the spacer so you need to pull one of the bearing out a bit (without damaging it).

Also, the 78 C had cast wheels so maybe the bearings are wrong.

Edit: just checked it's the same bearing for both models.
    Last edited by allojohn; 11-02-2012, 08:58 PM.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

The 78 C had spoke wheels & the bearings are the same....

Options..
      1. Pull one of the bearings out a tiny bit as suggested above.
      2. Pull one bearing out completely & file a little bit (20 thou or so might be all it takes) off the end of the wheel spacer allowing you to press the bearing all the way home without binding.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Pull one bearing out completely & file a little bit (20 thou or so might be all it takes) off the end of the wheel spacer allowing you to press the bearing all the way home without binding.

Nice trick Salty, next time around I'm going to use that one.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

can i use the blind bearing puller with one hit on the slide hammer? how much ruins the bearing?
          and which side do i pull out just a smidge?
          Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2012, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmaurin View Post
            can i use the blind bearing puller with one hit on the slide hammer? how much ruins the bearing?
            and which side do i pull out just a smidge?
            Yes, one light hit. You probably won't know if you've damaged them. I did the same with mine, haven't heard/felt a problem yet (1,000 miles) but I'm checking frequently. I think you want to pull the side without the speedo link.
            -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

thanks guys... if i have a problem with the bearings (hear ANYTHING) then ill take em out and put in new ones (a cheap fix...)
              then ill file the spacer .020 and see if that solves my problem...

Comment

They fully seated all the way around and not slightly ascue in the recesses???
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I've seen this a few times with the all balls bearings. I'm guessing the centre of the bearing is just a smidge thicker than the stock ones, maybe because they are double sealed perhaps...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X