Is this hole supposed to be there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this hole supposed to be there?

Grasping at straws now. Trying to figure out why my brakes have had an air leak since I assembled and installed a stainless line back in March.

Have torn the calipers down and am about to install new seals---again--but I am trying to test all components while I have the system torn down.

Put a vacuum on the line to confirm that the line itself isn't leaking. Seems to hold the vacuum appropriately. Noticed this hole in the assembly and can't find any pictures of other bolts with this hole.

Can anyone confirm that this hole in the bolt (upper left of the picture just before the threads) is normal?

the hole looks to be just in the nut area and not into the bore itself. have you tried poking a thin bit of wire in it to see if it goes right through anywhere?
    it could have been used to attatch a bit of lock wire to it.
    if fluid was leaking from it you would easily see it squirting out.
    the hole does not look normal but i dont think it is your problem
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I am not seeing a clear hole (upper left of the picture just before the threads) even when blown up.

Now the bolt that goes through piece that you have posted the picture of will have a hole between the threads and the head of bolt.

The hole allows passage of fluid through hollow bolt to your line.

Hope you posted wrong picture!

Might check all surfaces that match up to one another for scratches that might allow weep.

Clean everything really good so if leak appears when reassembled you can search for it better.

Comment

It looks like a large spec on the bolt. It is where the wrench would tighten down so you can twist the bolt to tighten it up.

Comment

That's for safety wiring, no? I think the fittings I bought had that. Anyhow, it's not in a sealing area. Keep looking.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Am not familiar with how the stainless break lines are put together.
            Braided cover over rubber hose?

If you cant find a fluid leak, possibly a high spot only sucking air?
            Would imagine a air intake leak without fluid leaking out is possible and would be close to impossible to find.

Have read a couple of threads with people tying/strapping down lever to allow air bubbles to settle and make way up lines to res.

Try that next time.

And like I said earlier clean everything real good to help spot leak if your problem continues.

Will add as I just thought of.
            Pump them suckers real tight and spray some talcum or similar on all parts, blow with compressed air to clean dry areas off and look for whats sticking.

I wish you the best of luck as I know how difficult some leaks can be to find, have had my best method to be clean, run, and inspect.

Comment

is the level in the fluid reservoir going down at all? if not then there is no leak, just air in the system
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

That is there for safety wiring if you are using them on a track bike
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Spent all summer chasing this issue. Tied the handle back multiple times. Brakes firm up, but within minutes I'm back to soft brakes.

Vintage bike rider group here in Indy suggested that it could sucking air back into the system around the caliper piston seal. Tight enough to prevent fluid leak, but sucking air back in when the piston releases the disc.

Had changed the seals and cleaned everything in early summer, so decided to try another set of seals. They arrived this week, so I am double checking everything as I reassemble the system.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the information about the safety wiring hole.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                    That is there for safety wiring if you are using them on a track bike
                    That would be my bet also.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
                      Spent all summer chasing this issue. Tied the handle back multiple times. Brakes firm up, but within minutes I'm back to soft brakes.

Vintage bike rider group here in Indy suggested that it could sucking air back into the system around the caliper piston seal. Tight enough to prevent fluid leak, but sucking air back in when the piston releases the disc.

Had changed the seals and cleaned everything in early summer, so decided to try another set of seals. They arrived this week, so I am double checking everything as I reassemble the system.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the information about the safety wiring hole.
                      If the level is not going down then there is no leak, are you sure the m/c seal is fitted the correct way round?
                      It's the only reason I can think for soft brakes. Other than old expanding original pipes.
                      Did you fit new, or at least aneal the copper washers, all of them?
                      Tying back the lever only closes the resovoir port and allows the air to work its way up to the top allowing it to burp when the lever is released. Not a fix for me but seems to work for some.
                      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
                      X