After a lot of work and money...it's official--no front brake at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
    Well, some brake pressure this morning, but if it follows its usual pattern it will gradually reduce. Exactly like the oem rebuilt MC--but perhaps a bit more lever travel at the highest pressure it builds.

Tempted to return to the OEM MC. At least I know the piston and cup set is new and it does give me a bit more brake pressure.

I checked the line when I had the system torn down. I blocked one end and applied a vacuum to the other end. It held the pressure with no leakdown.

Video uploading now. Will add link when it gets done.

As always, I really appreciate the time you have all taken to help figure this out.
    Curious about something; what has the difference been in your daytime/nighttime temperatures?

Do you store the bike in a heated garage?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Yep, always in the garage.

I recommend that you all buy stock in brake fluid companies. I've increased their profit margins significantly since I started this process.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
        Nice term "violent bleeding"
        I have always done mine that way in MCs and in other vehicles and it has always worked.

I get a buddy to pump the lever briskly then squeeze the lever all the way in.
        Then I crack the bleeder to let the pressuirized liquid out.
        Close the bleeder and have the buddy repeat the process till the air is gone.

Make sure the res is topped off and level and its should work.
        Gotten to the point where I can do both tasks myself. No buddy needed. Unfortunately, it is having no effect.

Comment

I recommend that you all buy stock in brake fluid companies. I've increased their profit margins significantly since I started this process.
          The reason I ask about temperature fluctuation is that your description and video plays out like there is an air bubble trapped somewhere in the system, and should get a bit smaller when cold (i.e. better feel in the morning) and worse when warm. I have to admit that you are getting way more travel in that lever than I would expect from JUST a small trapped bubble.

I recall someone (DPep?) mentioning about getting a bubble inside part of the MC and experiencing something similar to what you have been going through.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

as long as you are bleeding into a clean container you can reuse that fluid to carry on bleeding until it is right. then once you are happy bleed again with new fluid to finish the job
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I have to admit that you are getting way more travel in that lever than I would expect from JUST a small trapped bubble.

yes, but he's got but numerous small trapped bubbles...

Comment

Tom MLC had leaky bleeder valves that led to this problem... Try some PTFE tape on the threads. (No - he didn't see fluid leaking either & yes the bleed screws were brand new replacements).

Nessism & JC had something similar that turned out to be worn sliding pins in the calipers...

Just a couple of ideas for you in case getting violent with your bleeding doesn't work...

With the amount of brake changes, modifications etc etc I have played with the last few years I have bled my fair share or systems. I usually "suck" the hose at the caliper end (or put a vacuum tool on it) until I see fluid then bleed away as normal.
                I have needed to cable tie the lever back to the bars for a couple of days on one or two occasions (leaving it like that under pressure seems to help the air bubbles travel up & out a lot).

Good luck
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

How do you know if the slider pins are at fault? Caliper appears to be moving more at the top than at the bottom.

Uploading a video showing the interior of the MC when pumping the brakes. Seems to be only one hole in the GS500 MC. Bubbles came out at first, not now. Doesn't appear to any air coming out the bleeder at this point either...just simply no brake lever pressure to speak of.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

You tell if the pins are at fault by removing them and wire wheeling all the craqp off them and then reinstalling them. roll them on something absolutely flat like a piece of glass to see if they are bent even the slightest bit also.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Well the video clearly shows the holes arent plugged. You sure you have the front cup in there facing the right way?? The dished side should face the banjo bolt hole.
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I did not tear this one down to inspect the piston and cup set. Sounds stupid as I write it. Waited a week for the part and got excited to see it would solve the problem.

Went to install it and found that the plastic window was shot and had to order the glass replacement online to fix it. Then I had to modify an old brake switch line to accept the new switch. Put the teardown aside and dealt with the obvious problems.

I'll pull the pins and inspect them again, but there were no obvious problems with either of them. The whole system was pretty clean for a 29-year old bike. Had just under a 10 thousand miles on it when I got and had been stored inside.
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2012, 05:04 AM.

Comment

I dont see any activity in the fluid, like the return spurting back.
                            but maybe its too deep, usally if the fluid is low it will actually squirt/splash back.

Are you sure the mc is actually pumping?

Comment

John....that mastr cylinder is off a 550, and what i saw in the video is thatbthere is no return port. You can see the piston moving in the pick up hole though.

Comment

Even so there still should be returning fluid...

oldrookie was the bleeder open when you shot this video? if so thats one reason why no return. And if so did it pump out a good amouint each stroke?
                                the level dosnt seem to drop much...

Btw I thought port less MC were a toyota/ABS thing...

Comment

Working...
                                X