Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Disc Brake Release

Hi Everyone,

I'm tidying up an '81 GS 450 to get it back on the road after many years in storage, and was hoping I could find some help troubleshooting the front disc.

After bleeding the lines and adjusting everything, the caliper piston won't return when the lever is released - the end result is the the pads will seize onto the disc after 5 or 6 pulls of the lever.

The piston moves freely when the caliper is off the bike, and as far as I can see there are no leaks in the system and it's all bled properly.

I'm a little unclear on how the piston normally moves back into the caliper. Is it simply a hydraulic action as the lever is released back to the open position? If so, would an air leak defeat this action? There's no spring return or similar mechanism anywhere that I can see on the bike or in the manuals.

Thanks for any help with what I guess is a very basic concept/question - I'd just like to get an idea of what to look for before I go buying up parts and replacing everything.

Cheers, Hamish.

Check for a blocked return port in the master cylinder. It's tiny, and if it's blocked there is no way for the fluid to leave the caliper, so the brake can't release.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

clean the pins and the areas of the calipers where the pads slide on. apply a smear of copper grease too. if they are binding the pads wont release
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Maybe we should swap some parts. Between our two bikes we might get the brakes to work properly. Mine won't retain pressure, yours won't release.

Comment

Working...
        X