No announcement yet.

Been thinking tires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it odd the owners manual says nothing about a tube. For safety reason it should have at least mentioned that a tube is required for these rims.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Okay confirmed (confirmed for myself, by the way, the guys here on the forum are very right on this), any mag wheels made before 82(?) pretty sure that is what they said, do require a tube. Suzuki changed the casting process when it went to a new style in 82.

Hence I took my butt over to the dealer and bought some tubes. Now, grumble grumble, I gotta take the wheels off again. Oh well, live and learn something new.
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        Okay confirmed (confirmed for myself, by the way, the guys here on the forum are very right on this), any mag wheels made before 82(?) pretty sure that is what they said, do require a tube. Suzuki changed the casting process when it went to a new style in 82.
        Some of the GS aluminium wheels made prior to '82 were "tubeless tire applicable". I've seen 17" shaft drive rears from 1980 and 19" fronts from 1981 that were both tubeless. Only way to know for sure is to look at the wheel.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Some of the GS aluminium wheels made prior to '82 were "tubeless tire applicable". I've seen 17" shaft drive rears from 1980 and 19" fronts from 1981 that were both tubeless. Only way to know for sure is to look at the wheel.
          Yeah I've seen that in the forum, never seen one in real life. Guess they are kind of rare?
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Do modern tubeless motorcycle wheels have this extra ridge?

Can't remember, have only done spoked wheels this year.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Front tire has tube now, rear tire today.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Rear tire back on, we be TUBED!
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                X