Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflating rear tire with air pump from gas station

Hey all,

I use the air pump at gas stations to keep my tires in the recommended psi range. However, inflating the rear tire is a bit tricky as the hose doesn't easily go into the tire's air plug thing because the rear brakes get in the way. How can I go about doing this more easily??

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Wait, would this work? http://mudflaps.com/i-9458885-air-li...FSXZQgodHWYApg
    Last edited by Guest; 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM.

I see you got a "G" no chain or sprocket to get in the way should you try from the other side.
    I just use a ordinary bicycle tire pump, that way I get the stone cold pressures, I don't have to pay, wait for the compressor to build up pressure, or try to make a good hose to valve connection, and I don't like those funky gauges on the hose which I don't trust anyway.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

$12 or so….

They work well for bike tires, last a long time.

For car tires, not so much.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        $12 or so….

That's the one I carry...

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          $12 or so….

$12?! They're going for thirty now.... might as well just get it I guess

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
            That's the one I carry...
            I carry about 10 of those C02 cartridges when I'm on a day road trip or something...maybe I ought to get a slime pump.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              I carry about 10 of those C02 cartridges when I'm on a day road trip or something...maybe I ought to get a slime pump.
              Good idea. If you have a slow leak, you can still get home safely if you have a pump. With CO2, you're very limited -- it takes four or five just to fill a rear tire enough to ride.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I use one of those 90 degrees valve adaptors.

Comment

The one at the station I use has a longer rubber hose between the handle and the fitting, so i simply go in between the spokes as close to the hub as I can and bend it...goes right on the stem without any troubles.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                  X