Firestone Deluxe Champions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firestone Deluxe Champions

Hey, I wanted to get some opinions on Firestone Deluxe Champions for my '82 1100G. On one hand they look cool and have a very vintage feel to them. On the other hand its 60 year old technology. So what do you guys think? Safe enough to use or should I look another direction for new tires?

I'd pass. I'm afraid of dying.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Any and every other direction, why go with something made for looks?

Lots of threads here about best handling tires and cheap tires and long lasting tires
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Never heard of them, had to look them up.

I'm with the others, I'll pass, too.

The only reason to get tires for "looks" is if it's going to be a show-ONLY bike or a bar-hopper, in which case it's mainly for show, anyway.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There are really good modern tires made now for these old bikes.
          To ride on anything less would be irresponsible, dangerous, and just plain stupid.

To ride on tires that were ancient technology when these bikes were built, ludicrous.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Had to look them up too....for show and expensive. Get a better tire like an Avon or Shinko for less money than buying the "for looks" Firestone Deluxe. The reputable bike tire sites don't even list that Firestone bike tire. And other forum comments are that they are junk...do you plan on riding that 1100G or looking at it?

Comment

I had a bought a set of Firestone Deluxe Champions on my first car, didn't even know that they made tires for bikes, but that was also 35+ years ago. If you are looking for the tires that came on your bike , It probably came with Bridgestone Mag-Mopus tires, as I know both early 80's Suzuki bikes that I bought new came with them. 81 750L and my 83 750ED both came with them
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I found this statement from an internet store selling them:
                Firestone's Motorcycle Deluxe Champion tires come in many popular sizes in authentic tread designs. Provides the most extensive line of vintage motorcycle tires in the world.
                When I worked for them (until 1988) Firestone used to sell a line of tires designed specifically to look exactly like OEM tires on vintage/classic/antique vehicles. I believe that they used the original molds.

The construction of these tires would almost have to match the construction of the originals - meaning dimensions of the two dozen components that go into each one. The relatively sloppy manufacturing practices would also match, as sloppiness is inherent to antique manufacturing equipment.

The materials used would likely have changed a bit, due to unavailablitiy of the original materials. This would usually result in improvments in tire performance. However, unless the Champions are extensively tested to verify that new materials don't affect component placement in the finished tire, performance could suffer.

Therefore, I concur that these tires should not be purchased for regular riding on the street. Instead, they are meant for motorcycles (or cars, as the case may be) that are meant to be looked at. The tires are still required by law to meet DOT safety standards, so they should be safe for moderate riding. Any GS Suzuki should be capable of far better handling and braking than these tires. Riding a GS, shod with Champions, the way that it is ridden with modern tires, could get a rider in trouble.
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Looks like the consensus is no to the vintage tires. Allrighty then, now its time to scour the forums for the best tires for the best price. Thanks guys

Comment

Fire-pops, I pass.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

Comment

Working...
                      X