Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire judgement call, you be the judge..

1985 GS550L, recent purchase.

Bike has 4500 miles on it, and currently has Pirelli Sport Demon tires.

The rear is old, either 03 or 96 depending on how Im supposed to read the numbers, either way its checked and cracked, and has to go

Front tire is a may 2010 tire, and has maybe 1200 miles on it. It is in good cosmetice shape, no cracking, no checking. It is a 110 width tire and should be a 100, but this tire is not offered in the right size.

A replacement rear sport demon in the right size is 137 bucks, plus installation. It is the correct size tire for this bike.

OR

I can do a pair of Avons for 240.00ish plus mount balance.. and this will allow me to run the correct width front tire.

Its about a 125.00 difference in price though, and while I spend plenty, I hate to throw away something of value..

Should I trust the apparently newer and unused front Pirelli, I don't think 10mm of width is going to be a huge problem, it certainly doesn't cause clearance concerns anyway.. or after 3 years (I'll be riding by April if not sooner) should I chuck it due to concerns of it being harder than it should be?

Opine please.

A Pirelli Sport Demon in your size for the rear is $119 at Motorcycle Superstore. Link below.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

I want to pay to have them mounted and balanced, most places wont do that on tires they didn't sell, so a few bucks more to not have the headache of doing it myself (I've done more than my share, thanks) is worth it. I'll also be buying locally, which when possible is a good thing imo.

I've seen the Shinden tires, and I hear some people talking good of them, but I've never been one to skimp on motorcycle tires, I ask too much of them. If that last little bit of adhesion to the ground is what keeps the bike doing what I tell it, I damn sure want it to be there for me when I need it. They may be great, but I haven't ever heard of them and have no experience with them, and wont take the chance.

I looked at the lazertech tires and the Avons, and if I do a pair it will probably be one of those two. I was just curious on what people thought about just running a 3 year old front tire if it visually looked new. As far as I can tell it never sat flat or anything either..

I keep waffling back and forth.. on one hand I'd have the peace of mind knowing I had fresh rubber, on the other hand 100 bucks pays for a battery and some other odds and ends that I also need / want.

Comment

I have a 2010 tire on my bike.
        I think the folks here go by a 5 yr rule

Comment

A 3 year old, 110 Sport Demon with little use should be fine for your your bike.
          I would buy the matching Pirelli rear and not worry.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Pirelli's on an L ? Talk about an "elevator in a outhouse"
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Pirelli's on an L ? Talk about an "elevator in a outhouse"
              Seems you have L envy... :P

Seriously though, a slack handling bike is even more reason to make sure you have some good grip available.. no denying the seating position and the head geometry is going to take some of the bikes 'edge' away.

I do have non L bars on it anyway, for a bit more normal posture.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug B. View Post
                Seems you have L envy... :P.
                Just razzin man

I have, like many here, the Avon Road Riders. Very confident feel. and yes, one of mine had sidewall cracks that was replaced under warranty.

Pretty good in the rain too....
                1982 GS1100EZ on Avon Road Rider tires. Checking out the wet weather traction.
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I use Avon Roadriders on both my bikes, I have no complaints.
                  To determine the age of the tires.
                  How old are your tires? If you bought them recently, but they were sitting on a shelf for 5 years, they are old. To find out the age of the tire by reading...
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Effect of a fat front tire?

Well, I'm going to assume that the rim is original, so you have a bit of pinching of the side walls. Not the end of the world really, and the effects of the wider tire, assuming it is not also taller (100/90 replaced with 110/80 for instance) will be minimal.
                    The wider tire will have greater rolling resistance, almost as though it were under inflated. Cornering will be similar, with the steering feeling a bit spungee and at severe lean angles, even feel vague. This is the result of the side walls being pinched at the rims and allowing/requiring greater sidewall deformation when turning and the increased contact area. On the topic of contact area, your front will have a greater contact area than it would on the correct rim, so it will wear out faster and is more likely to develope scallops. Again, it will be a small effect, but it is definately there.
                    Friction will also suffer, as the tire carcass is functionally softer than it should be, the contact pressure will be more even across the contact patch. This sounds great, but normally the tire pressure and carcass stiffness put more pressure on the center of the contact patch, forcing the rubber on the road to deform more, giving you more bite. The evening of the forces will reduce this deformation, and again will agrivate scalloping.

The solution I would try would be to get the correct tire. If you want to save the front for a little while longer though, and I say this with no promise that it will work, I would be to over inflate the front by about 10%, and then lower the tripple-trees down the forks by about 3/8" or so.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      Just razzin man
                      I just figured you were envious of the Ls vastly superior styling cues

It's not my 1st choice either, but the deal on it was too good to pass up. I only have one concern and that is-

Originally posted by old_skool
                      I might still be riding an L if it wasn't for feeling so cramped up in a tight space, I literally was sitting half on/off the tank.
                      That.. it is close quarters for anything more than an hour or so at a stretch. I had a maxim 550 that was the same way, stepped seats suck. from a function standpoint.

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
                      Effect of a fat front tire?

The solution I would try would be to get the correct tire. If you want to save the front for a little while longer though, and I say this with no promise that it will work, I would be to over inflate the front by about 10%, and then lower the tripple-trees down the forks by about 3/8" or so.
                      This. I am totally with ya on the size difference, 10mm + on width, 4.5 mm + at the sidewall, it's small but will make a difference.. and ultimately I don't want to be locked in by buying a rear tire, and then having to match it when the front is due, since it doesn't look like the 'right' size is available in the pirellies.

I think a new pair of Avons are the solution.. if tire wear concerns me I'll try something else down the road. My biggest concern is that they are there for me should I need em.

Comment

Working...
                      X